Is new school lunch guidelines an example of govt gone wild?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChkitOut, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Crispy

Crispy

I didnt mention cost once.

The cold air up true North must be slowing your wits today. Got it.

#31     Sep 18, 2012
  2. Brass

Brass

You didn't have to. French fries and onion rings are cheaper than real food. Apparently, schools generally don't seem to care about serving nutritious food, otherwise this whole thing wouldn't even be an issue. Evidently, then, they're looking to make a buck at the cafeteria at the students' expense. Enter the accountant.

Are the dots any closer yet? Gosh, I sure hope so.

#32     Sep 18, 2012
  3. Crispy

Crispy

Cost is so far off the topic of my post you are seeing words that are not there.

Govt cannot mandate healthy behavior they have already tried...for decades.

In the USA the govt has been issuing food guidelines to schools for decades...

Our govt is inept at administering effective nutrition policy.

Is the smoke clearing up for you yet ?

#33     Sep 19, 2012
  4. Brass

Brass

Then why the sudden outrage and hysterical thread title?

#34     Sep 19, 2012
  5. Crispy

Crispy

I didnt create the thread. But I can speculate why the outrage exists.

The US govt have been entirely inept in the past at producing effective nutrition policy. So now we are too assume that the past never happened and they now "know whats good for us" all of sudden and this time it is correct? That right there is an insult to the collective intelligence of my country.

Cmom, the bureaucrats cant balance a checkbook, but they want us to believe they can help get the country skinny again?

I am all for healthy living and eating. Hell my kids are probably some of the skinniest in their classes and they eat like ravenous hogs. Its all about the fruits, veggies and whole grains.

Please see my previous post about NYS schools "banning" the sale of bagels. This is one example of the new policy thats already going horribly wrong. These govt bean counters are looking at metrics like calories...not nutrition.

#35     Sep 19, 2012
  6. Brass

Brass

You're right. The solution is to give up. Quit trying to make it better. Group wallow?

#36     Sep 19, 2012
  7. Crispy

Crispy

See, there you go again. As if I said give up.

Neighbors make a community, communities make towns, towns make states..states make a nation. We need a grassroots effort that starts from the bottom up. Top down does not work in this nation...never has...never will.

Now, I tend to begin conversations by assuming the other person is on equal ground. But when it deteriorates to the point of my "equal" becoming condescending then the conversation is over as it can only go down hill from there.

Nice debating with you.

#37     Sep 19, 2012
  8. Brass

Brass

Look at the kids. It isn't working. No one is willing to take any initiative from the bottom up in any meaningful way. So what now? Just wait?

And tell me what's wrong with this:

http://www.letsmove.gov/

Oh, and you're not debating. Once you go ideological, there can be no debate. You're not trying to solve the problem. You're just trying to diss someone who is. That's "debate?"

#38     Sep 19, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 1

- 3 1/2

#39     Sep 19, 2012