Is Nebraska's Medicade tax exemption Constitoutional?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wallet, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Wallet

Wallet

Article 1 Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

but all shall be uniform throughout the United States?

2. I don't think its legal to exempt a State from having to pay what the other states are paying.

The other part that is illegal is making people buy insurance. Their is no other precedent for this that I am aware of.

Not sure though how it affects the entire bill if parts of it are unconstitutional. Not sure if it nullifies the entire bill of if they just take out the clauses that are illegal.

In this case though it doesn't really matter because if they throw out the mandatory purchase of insurance then the bill is not viable and would have to be redone.

John

3. Constitutional? Perhaps not. But how long has it been since such things mattered??

4. BSAM

BSAM

I don't get it. What is this "Constituion" you guys are referring to? Some binding policy, mission statement, law, or what??