Is my career over?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TruthSeeker247, May 6, 2006.

1. You have serious issues. You are so cought up in the money of trading, you don't even care how you perform.

You are worried about loosing money. Everyone loses money. Everyone has their bad streaks. You need to aim for consistency. You just seem to be one of those traders who looks at the prize before figuring out, that you need to be a good trader.

Did you keep a journal of your trades?

You lost 7 times more money than i ever did and I started small.

It's just not looking good my man.

Stop thinking about money. You started trading more and more contracts because you let money get in the way. Your dreaming of a prize, and in this business, dreaming and wanting something can hurt you. I know from personal experience. Change the way you look at trading *or in your case, gambling* and change quick.

#21     May 6, 2006
  2. is that for real?

#22     May 6, 2006
  3. I don't know, but even with 1 year of experience, I can't imagine how some people can put so much money at risk. I thank god I didn't decide to throw 30k into an account. (I couldn't afford to anyways)

I was wise, I started small, I blew out my account twice. I'm ready to go. If I would have lost 30k, I would have been terrified.

I don't know how 30 year notes work, but you need to put in twice the amount it costs to trade one contract. And trade one contract.

I started trading 2 contracts, but it was too big for me, I went to 1 contract quickly. *This was on the YM btw*

You just seriously need to change the way you think about trading ASAP. Your going to get yourself creamed, I don't know how much of that money you could have afforded to lose, but hopefully all of it is the right number.

#23     May 6, 2006
  4. I forgot to mention that I made that $5000 trading 6 lots. I lost $2000 and got pissed off. It is then that I started trading 14 lots, then 24 lots, then 40 lots. I was out of control.

#24     May 6, 2006
  5. Well you got some brass balls my man. I don't know how the hell anyone in this world could do that. You had to be pissed off to the next dimension or something.

Did you have any anxiety attacks? I just would love to know how you did it.

I always have put in sincere effort to read all posts of people that fail in this business. I try to learn from others mistakes. But, you just take the cake and then some. I'm actually printing this whole thread out as we speak. Saving it later on when I decide to move up in share size. ET is like an archive for some of the greatest trading material ever.

You certainly are an inspiration and an eye opener for me and hopefully for other ET newbies.

#25     May 6, 2006
  6. You make a lot of good points. I'm hoping that I'll one day make 7 times more money than you ever did too. If I lose this money I'll have to go back to work for a year, save money and try again. I don't ever anticipate giving up on this. This is not a fad thing that I'm doing as a get rich quick scheme. I feel as if I was born to be a trader; that this is what I was meant to do. Things have to change though.

Would a proprietary trading group decide not to hire me based on this one blowup of my account? what do you think?

#26     May 6, 2006
  7. I'm hoping that I will open myself up to the same extent of sucess as I have done for failure. (i.e. I've lost $30,000 in a month and one day hope to make $30,000 in a month). Thanks for the post

#27     May 6, 2006
  8. Thanks. I need cool down periods after losing periods. I've discovered this to be a fact too.

#28     May 6, 2006

9. Yeah, I've got the Dreyfus statement right here -- came across it this weekend when looking for the car reg info for getting new plates.

Her brother lost >$100mil the same year. Makes for interesting dinner conversation.

#29     May 6, 2006
  10. I was trading while I was out of my mind. I simply didn't want my $5000 that I had made in february to become a $500 loss. Well, that $5000 gain became $13000 loss which became the impetus for my $40,000 loss.

You are right, the answers are within me.

#30     May 6, 2006