Is Money Management the "Holy Grail"?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by travisdu, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Redneck

Redneck

You are truly a piece of work

Majority of all traders who try it fail
    Of the remaining – only a very few make really good money

And you believe everyone can become a master – of their universe

World don’t work that way – some folks just don’t have, and will never have – the psychological make up to trade

That's why they are teachers, police / fire fighters, military, mechanics... etc..etc...and the list goes on

And I never said anything about madoff

I’m talking about John Q, and Jane Q – Public – just normal everyday folks, who do the work… so we can sit here and trade..

They invest their money so they’ll have something to retire on – and now it’s pretty much down the drain

Curious how one goes from market’s upward bias to getting information from books

And the truth never hurts – it’s just the truth

#11     Jan 27, 2009
  2. #12     Jan 28, 2009
  3. I agree with Redneck Trader 100%. Your trading method must produce certain results but money management keep you in the game when even placing "correct" trades go wrong for you. I guess it all boils down to let your winners runs and keep your loses small.

#13     Jan 28, 2009
  4. Nah,

Not a piece of work, just young, under 35.

Just as young teen aged men think they are physically indestructable, those too young to have lived through a complete business cycle think they are fiscally indestructable.

Definition of living through a complete business cycle: the trader has traded through at least one recession and one bubble.

Hint: Does the dow chart show a depression right now? Are we making higher highs/lows or lower highs/lows? Timely action this year might make some careers.

#14     Jan 28, 2009
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Good Point Sir

Thank You

#15     Jan 28, 2009
  6. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

You are making assumptions based on your experiences!

Any person with a half brain can make money trading, if they but know how to do it correctly!

As for teaching, and all that goes with it, you have actually answered the reason as to why so many fail!

The truth always hurts!

#16     Jan 31, 2009
  7. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

More assumptions!

Investing is a mugs game, daytrading is a gamblers game.

Learn how to gamble correctly and you will make money, it really is that simple, but yet so hard for all the highly "educated" people in the world.

It makes you think, does it not!

#17     Jan 31, 2009
  8. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

100% correct.

All the MM in the world is of no use unless you can make money.

Ever heard of the drip dry theory?

#18     Jan 31, 2009
  9. Redneck

Redneck

And what assupmtions would that be pray tell

BTW - You assume the truth always hurts
    Mine is the truth is always the truth - period

#19     Jan 31, 2009
  10. Before I begin I think RedNeck Trader deserves kudos for politeness. If only my words were so tame in addressing others…

Money management is not the “Holy Grail” but rather a business tool. However, I use money management like the “Holey Grail”. This sounds contradictory but it is not. I will explain why.

When I wrote my first trading plan about 12 years ago it turned out to be a failure. I could not adhere to all of the articles in the plan that was copied from numerous authors of time. This included many author’s recommendations of the time about money management.

When I finally achieved a working plan about 6 year later I discovered most of the trading mantras from these authors had been discarded. Many of the classic methods I implement had failed me. This is when the light bulb went on.

A traders plan is an individual business plan. I may include or discard what works for me. In most cases this means writing in my own words what a “money management” concept means. If money management does not work for me and I can trade with a fixed dollar stop of $827 a trade why not use it. As long as I accept the risks and I make a profit than this is satisfactory.

If my plan fails me then I go back to the gurus concepts as models to rebuild my plan. But now I build it my way since I accept more readily the consequences.

#20     Jan 31, 2009