Is Microsoft giving up on Vista?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Tums, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jprad

jprad

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization." -- Unknown

#11     Jan 8, 2009
  2. 2 would be nice but isn't gonna happen with a complex consumer application that sells for $125. and this comment isn't in reference to microsoft.

the only apps that are designed to be flawless are critical apps where one flaw could result in death or catastrophe, such as a missile's navigation firmware or perhaps some system that operate a major dam. consumer apps of high complexity that sell for peanuts won't achieve a zero-defect goal, especially one that operates other apps (so when something stalls you can't determine the culprit anyway).

#12     Jan 8, 2009
  3. i dont mean missile guidence precision, i just mean sucking less than it does, because it's chock full of useless BLOAT

#13     Jan 8, 2009
  4. Corelio

Corelio

Anything, I mean anything, would be an evolutionary step from Vista.

And anything, I mean anything, has greater success than Vista.

#14     Jan 8, 2009
  5. eagle

eagle

I think I heard about Microsoft will discontinue support for Windows 2000 soon. That mean any issues like faulty function, internet hacking and so on won't be resolved by Microsoft.

#15     Jan 8, 2009
  6. i had a look at "windows 7" .. whatever that is..

but apparently you need minimum 16GB hard drive, 1GB ram and 128mb graphics..

what the f is going on at microsoft????

#16     Jan 8, 2009
  7. Daal

Daal

Windows 98 was the best windows ever. At least it was pretty darn fast, I miss the old days

#17     Jan 8, 2009
  8. That's approximately $1.49 in hardware costs - what exactly is the problem?

#18     Jan 8, 2009
  9. EXACTLY. the point is although hardware is becoming cheaper and more accessible - rather than us having a more powerful set up for a operating system, MS decided to make their OS even more power hungry.. i.e performance improvement is marginal..

#19     Jan 8, 2009

10. The same questions were asked with xp. Ram and cpu gets cheaper so people build software with bells and whistles that need/take advantage of that ... its the trend guys ... do you all trade counter trend?

The community interested in os releases (that has slated vista sp1 and not been too keen on sp2 ... but does like server 2008) sees potential in W7. It is looking pretty reasonable. It is built on other os's like nt>xp>vista>w7 ... but what does one expect. It does boot faster than vista or xp ... but instant recovery (other than from sleep) doesn't appear to be the goal.

SP2 of WS2008 is looking like it should be a better os for people who care about solid reliable behaviour. If traders are really really serious about reliability they should be using WS2008 or Server 2003 - they are faster and more reliable than the Workstation equivalents.

MS is building a new kernel but I don't recall seeing that it would make it to W7.

However, I think most people will move to W7 because it will be a clean step up from vista .. just like xp was from (remember it) millenium.

#20     Jan 8, 2009