Is market data ridiculously expensive?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by qdz2, Feb 4, 2003.

1. qdz2

qdz2

How much more profit you can make after you subscribe a more expensive quote package? The data providers definitely make more than what all traders make in total. I assure you that is 100% true.
    Why is data so expensive? Don't they belong to public domain after the exchanges give them away?

The data is not only expensive but also more or less inefficient and inaccurate. There is no open standard for data format and conversion. Therefore, lots of money are wasted (and made). How about let's start a nonprofitable organization to solve these issues? We provide accurate open standard realtime data for FREE.

Hey, buddy, are you going to be happy or getting upset? What do you think?

:p

2. Babak

Babak

data is way too expensive...especially when you consider the loopy logic that reigns where the customer pays for what they helped construct!!

3. Exchanges don't give the data away. It's profitable since they have to report it to users anyway, so users keep using the exchange. Also, there are some costs associated with running a business and distributing it. But I agree with you, it' very expensive.

4. qdz2

qdz2

Oops, I should correct myself that some exchanges do charge a small amount of fee for realtime data.

:p