Is making a $100,000 a month prop/retail trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sbn, Jan 4, 2006.

1. trading is not about generating an "income".

Its about accumulating capital.

imho

#41     Jan 4, 2006
  2. alanm

alanm

I'm guessing here that a distinction needs to be made between actual BP used and total orders.

By my definition, BP is the actual position size taken, not the total amount of the orders you are allowed to place, which can be much higher if you have a low fill rate (like the OO strategy). The firm isn't really taking much risk by allowing you $10M in "BP" if you never get more than $50K in positions.

#42     Jan 4, 2006
  3. One of the guys in my office did that this year. 100k plus every month. Been trading for 3 years. Under 30 years old. Awesome trader. Shorted 40k shares of EC at 38.60 after the halt. No overnights.

#43     Jan 4, 2006
  4. Oh yeah, he is purely discretionary. $5MM in BP. Gets the big wins from new events as do all the big/good traders in my office. Only does equities. Oh yeah and he never goes on this site. You guys (except for a couple) are pikers and so am I.

#44     Jan 4, 2006
  5. key is to have a real edge, and have a real edge that allows for big position size. i have a real edge, but it's boring and only small position size. maybe someone else can enlighten us for a real big edge :)

#45     Jan 4, 2006
  6. I'm already there, and I am with you all the way, except I don't want to trade 10 million, at least not now, maybe latter, it would be great to stop conversation at a bar.

400:1

And I don't need a prop firm, or their rules or their split of the profits.

No uptick rules.

No Silly stock picking and Insider Crap.

No pattern day trade rules.

No pesky NASD

No SEC

Almost tempted to let my Series 7 LAPSE, but then again...... there is always the dream job, with perks and stuff appearing out of nowhere.

#46     Jan 4, 2006
  7. yes its easy.

#47     Jan 4, 2006
  8. kowboy

kowboy

beer money,

Would you know what news service your friend uses?

Thanks, Mike

#48     Jan 4, 2006
  9. Making 100k a month consistently is almost impossible in this market. Especially if you can't keep overnights. I only trade intraday and over the last 5 years i have made from 120-500k in a year, with only one month over 100k. My buying power is no more than 1MM on any given day, with a usual buying power of about 500k. Unless you have a lot of capital and trade overnights, 100k is extremely difficult.

#49     Jan 4, 2006
  10. esmjb

esmjb

well obviously if slipcitykid cant do it then nobody can...

#50     Jan 4, 2006