Is making a $100,000 a month prop/retail trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sbn, Jan 4, 2006.

1. With only $25k? Got to be the worst risk management shop ever if they would give someone 400:1 on $25K, which is what the poster said.

#31     Jan 4, 2006
  2. Yup, a scant 25bp haircut. Where do we sign up?

#32     Jan 4, 2006
  3. Whip it out and wag it about the room.

#33     Jan 4, 2006
  4. Some dude gets $5M buying power and buys $10K of XYZ one day, someone else posts a misleading news item on Reuters, the stock goes up $15 and trader cashes out. He looses $50k the rest of the month and has grossed $100k for the month

#34     Jan 4, 2006
  5. \

We used to have 20 or 30 like that, but when those islands went on sale, well, they couldn't resist.

#35     Jan 4, 2006
  6. He does something day in day out, thats for sure.

Unless he's 15 years old and just starting out, he'd own the hedge fund with anything approaching that record.

That wouldn't be a 3 day sample would it?

lol

#36     Jan 4, 2006
  7. Sorry guys, typo on the daily $250k daily profit goal. I meant $25k per day on $25 million. :D

#37     Jan 4, 2006
  8. With enough BP, I would think plenty of people could do 100k a month. The real question is how much BP would you need, and when would you reach the point of diminishing returns in that your account would be too big to day trade effectively.

Let's say 20% per year would be attainable. (I realize most ET'ers do that much per week, but humor me.) Let's round that off to 2% per month, because with that kind of dough coming in, you definitely will want to take some vacations. That comes out to $5 mill in BP to generate $100k per month, certainly a large number for most of us but not out of the question.

So if you had, say $2-3 mill, would you be willing to put 5 on the line day trading? Or would you say, I only need to get rich once. I'll settle for $50k a month.

#38     Jan 4, 2006
  9. novel20

novel20

If you are really that good, you will have that kind of buying power and making that kind of money eventually.

Massive buying power would not improve your trading skills.

#39     Jan 4, 2006
  10. Its definatly possible, but the question is how much do you keep if your prop/pro, and how long can you sustain that kinda of pace.

#40     Jan 4, 2006