Is learning the trading business like learning any other business?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Joe Ross, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Johno

Johno

As I said, "proof talks bullshit walks" in the absence of proof you mate are a bullshit artist.

You can always prove me wrong by posting your statements, but we both know that would be impossible for you to do.

Regards

Johno

#31     Jul 10, 2009
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Why would anyone prove anything to an internet nobody?

You think someone who pulls 30% a day, actually cares what a 2 tick piker thinks, ??!? lol.

You've got a long way to go. Regards :D

#32     Jul 10, 2009
  3. loza

loza Guest

when I was living in Chicago and traded at the now defunct MidAm exchange the
    markteers and promoters were "selling" the seat as "a hot dog vendor has more setup costs than the seat of the MidAm membership cost....".
    Well, let me reminisce here for a moment... A hot dog vendor usually, if he or she is not an absolute moron and lacks of hygiene can make a $100 a day or more depending on his locale.
    MidAm traders were just like anyone else struggling with order flow, days of losing....(seldom you lose as a hot dog vendor).
    So all in all trading is not like ANY business.

#33     Jul 10, 2009
  4. Johno

Johno

I've seen other posts of yours where I suspected that you were trolling, so the shit you've pulled here comes as no surprise.

Anyway welcome to my ignore list!

#34     Jul 10, 2009
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

Trading is gambling. Admit it instead of denying that fact and you will approach the "GAME" with the right attitude.

You never have complete, accurate unequivocal information flow in trading. Even your own individual winning gameplan is flawed to a certain percent. Trading is a game based on "chance".

I always laugh when someone says trading is a business. Turn that inside out and ask yourself how many will say gambling is a business. the goals are the same, right?

Truth be known, the sooner new market participants (those aspiring to become traders) understand they are gambling and are mere chance takers the better they will be.

Calling trading a business is just an ego boost. Getting married is more a business venture than merely being in love. Love is for puppies and kittens. Trading is living on the edge, not having one.

When the mkt opens at 0930 gamblers all over the world sit at their poker table and win or lose. That sounds a lot less boring than saying " i am a team player in this corporation of assholes and our mission everyday is to milk some poor slob out of their money in the name of BUSINESS"

Business is a coverup name for well dressed crooks to screw everyone they can to make a buck, it has long been a bunch of bullshit to claim "BUSINESS" as the proper way to lift the other guys wallet.

#35     Jul 10, 2009
  6. I guess I'm approaching this from the other way, meaning the things I did to become a successful businessman did not translate well to becoming a successful trader. For one thing, you can't impress or have any influence over the markets.

#36     Jul 10, 2009
  7. weitau

weitau

Guys, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that you cannot be a good trader because trading IS gambling. I'm saying it's LIKE gambling, but in games like poker or blackjack, you do have a chance to get the odds in your favor.

Also like in any good game, if there's a perception that skill is involved, the game becomes more successful.

It's been said that the biggest hurdle to success in trading is yourself. The psychological factor is something that you cannot ignore. If you cannot understand your emotions and find way to control it, then stop fooling yourself that you have an edge in trading. Get a Subway franchise and you'll make more money.

This is a great thread, lots of good responses, BTW

#37     Jul 10, 2009
  8. Johno

Johno

Hi max,
    What business are you in?

Regards

Johno

#38     Jul 10, 2009
  9. The question asked is "Is LEARNING the trading business like LEARNING any other business?"

Not OPERATING/MANAGING a business.

From a literal point of view, of course, it's the same. There are specific things that must be learned in order to trade or to maintain a business with success.

The learning PROCESS is different, imo. If you decide one day to go out and buy a business (Jiffy Lube, Retail Store, Restaurant, etc.), a person can do so, simply by inspecting an owner's books, watching customer traffic and arranging for complete training. You know if you are looking at a successful business. It is in front of you in black & white. If the business is already doing well when you buy it and nothing major has changed, and you don't go making any huge mistakes, chances are you'll do well too. The process is pretty straight forward. You work hard, keep things going just like the previous owner and you make money. In other words, you simply LEARN or COPY what someone else has already done to be successful in their business.

With trading the LEARNING process is completly different, at least from a retail standpoint. Unless you have an excellent mentor that lays out his evidence of success, and trains you one on one for a long time, you have no choice, but to go to the school of hard knocks. Sifting through all the bullshit requires lots of time, but it can be done.

#39     Jul 10, 2009
  10. I owned a recording/post production studio in New York City.

#40     Jul 10, 2009