Is Law School a Losing Game?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by hoffmanw, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Then we have to stop whining and do what we have always done best . . . innovate!

I can only hope we haven't lost our edge.

#21     Jan 17, 2011
  2. It is a cost of living arbitrage that has little to do with if we innovate or not. Hell, look at apple. They innovate a great deal, yet the vast majority of productive work created by apple is overseas.

#22     Jan 17, 2011
  3. This is a world economy my friend.
    Apple still creates a lot of jobs here.
    We just have to more creative here.

#23     Jan 17, 2011
  4. Larson

Larson Guest

Good point. I have far more respect for the lawyer who goes out and makes it on his own, although that is getting more and more difficult due to the glut of lawyers. Some of these corporate
    guys are shielded by the firm. One of my relatives is a one man operation and now circuit judge. For some reason, the corporates can't quite cut it on the bench and are always whining about the judges.

#24     Jan 17, 2011
  5. You don't think walking out of college and into the world of corporate or employment law (where my nephew practices) isn't making it on his own?
    He is so good he argued the government's last high profile case in CA against the Unions top attorneys and won.
    The Union immediately offered him a job at twice his pay and he told them to take a hike.

#25     Jan 17, 2011
  6. Larson

Larson Guest

Very laudable. Working for a highly respected firm makes your chances that much better. Hence, my comment.

#26     Jan 17, 2011
  7. Fuck that...! He's a recording artist and a judge?! I'll pay him TRIPLE and all the blow he could ever want!

#27     Jan 17, 2011
  8. Exactly, I have no idea why this concept is so hard to understand. Of course, we can all sit around and find the exceptions rather than the rule, which this thread has so far provided.

More to the point, alot of this cost of living arbitrage has been a very slow and steady trend for years already, which is why many people do not clearly see this for what it has become. If a multi-national company wants to bid a job on the world market, there are very few industries in the US that can compete on price. That is the reason why this inflate our way out of this mess is a catastrophic failure. What will increasing our cost of living do for us competitively?

#28     Jan 17, 2011
  9. Proflogic's nephew

[​IMG]

#29     Jan 17, 2011
  10. Bakinec

Bakinec

Those ungrateful job-seekers who had been graciously downsized should stop complaining and look at the positive side of the equation; a job lost in America is a job gained in India.

No doubt you have problems putting food on the table, but there is a bright side to that - your CEOs have bought their sons brand-new sparklin' Bentleys. How dare you not be happy.

#30     Jan 17, 2011