Is John McCain running a Bob Dole-like Campaign?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by quietriotrader, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Obvious youngster to the process?

#11     Apr 8, 2008
  2. Gord

Gord

What "process"? :confused:

#12     Apr 8, 2008
  3. Depends on how the term "Landslide" gets defined. :D

#13     Apr 8, 2008
  4. That's not what the state by state polls are showing. People seem to forget that it is a matter of winning states. If you lose a state by one vote or 10 million, it doesn't matter. All McCain has to do is hold onto the states Bush won.

While there are similarities between McCain and Dole, there are also important differences. Dole ran against a popular incumbent president, and he ran a very lackadasical campaign. Dole was a favorite of the Washington press corps, like McCain, but his midwestern humor didn't play well on a national stage. He was also the consummate Washington insider, while McCain has crafted an image as a maverick and outsider.

I don't particularly like McCain, but I have to respect the fact that voters seem comfortable with him. I have to think the average voter in the general will see Ovama as a huge gamble, one that might not be prudent to take given the dangerous international situation.

#14     Apr 8, 2008
  5. It's a political theater...one from which you're obviously confused...

...amazing

#15     Apr 8, 2008
  6. Gord

Gord

Sounded like an attempt at wit that fell flat on the floor.

Better luck next time...

#16     Apr 8, 2008
  7. Mac will not hold onto those states. Mac, like Hil, are fighting yesterdays battles.

The fear and machoism tit has run dry. The battle cries of today are Shame - Hope - Redemption.

That is what will win.

#17     Apr 8, 2008
  8. Gord

Gord

Yup, it's a race for the middle, and Barack is still chasing the extreme left vote. He has to spend his money on Hillary while McCain builds his war chest. Not to mention that the RNC is bringing in much more money than the DNC. Even the Dem 527's are having problems because of the division in the party.

#18     Apr 8, 2008
  9. #19     Apr 8, 2008
  10. Gord

Gord

Another thing about fund raising. Obama obviously has a formidable machine to raise cash, but last year he promised that if his Republican opponent accepted public money he would too. I don't fully understand the process, but as I understand it, if he does go with the public funds his big fund raising advantage largely dries up. That leaves him at a distinct money disadvantage. So will he flip flop on his statement from last year? Time will tell, but if he does you can be sure the McCain camp will use it in commercials to full advantage.

#20     Apr 8, 2008