Is it worth it to pony up $200 more for a Pentinum4 laptop instead of an AMD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by howardy2k, May 29, 2003.

1. Both are from HP with the same size hard disc, memory, videocard.

TIA

2. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

No, you won't notice a difference in performance.
    Maybe just a lighter wallet.

3. Aren't the p4's more stable? If so they could easily be worth the extra $200.

4. omcate

omcate

I think the major difference is that AMD processors generate more heat.

:p :p :p

5. I dont know if this is relevant or not

I always bought Intel boxes, but in 1999 bought a compaq (desktop) amd, believing that they had become a commodity.

That thing has been nothing but trouble, never performing as is should (500+ mz), adding memory helped some (300+), but today as a matter of fact, it finnaly conked out, wont even boot. Has been slow all week. Good thing I have a laptop, same power but intel (never a problem)

Is it the amd? I dont know, but this thing has given me incredible frustration over the time I have owned it.

Would I pay more back then, knowing what I do now?

YES!!!!!!

Shop around, you may be able to get a better deal over the internet.

I dont know if the amd had anything to do with it, but i'll never buy another one.

6. FinStat

FinStat

good post.

more info on the amd/p4 question would be appreciated.

for the p4, does anyone have thoughts about any difference between 2.6ghz, 3ghz, 3.06ghz w/ 800 front side, etc. for trading applications

thanks

7. MrDinky

MrDinky

After 2ghz, memory becomes more important than CPU power.

:cool:

8. FinStat

FinStat

solid dink

9. white17

white17

Several months back there were a few folks on these boards all having similar problems with various software/hardware configs. The common denominator in those problems as I recall was the AMD chip.

10. nitro

nitro

On a desktop I would probably venture an AMD. On a laptop the fan will probably drive you crazy unless you will be using it in a cool place.

nitro

#10     May 30, 2003