Is it true? That the smarter you are the worse the world looks?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ElectricSavant, Oct 15, 2006.

1. i make no claims regarding intellect. that is for you to decide.

<I>marketsurfer lexicon section3 partc</i>

:D :D

#71     Oct 15, 2006
  2. Actually Thunderdog..I guess I am the guilty one...I am saying the world is worse...

But I truly believe it.

Send me to a 70's "positive thinking" seminar for my punishment...

Everybody here knows I am absolutly brilliant...if i only could trade!

Michael B.

P.S. I took off two Forex trades in between posting here for a loss of 29 pips equaling BE in dollars...after several days of enduring the trades...to me this is the same as losing. Now will I remember this?...prolly not...that is significant. What do we remember? As traders what do we look for? I have put on and off so many trades, it does not excite me much anymore.

#72     Oct 15, 2006
  3. happiness is being happy with what you have and always looking on the positive side of life... i think this spans across all socioeconomic realms... a perfect example of this is celebrities- if fame and fortune are so great - why are so many of these people fucked up???

95% of this being mindful and at peace has to do with being able to control your mind which is why meditating and getting in touch with yourself is good imo...

my two cents

#73     Oct 15, 2006
  4. And yes I get paid to moderate ET. I am getting paid now with all of the kind and thoughtful posts here...I consider all of you my friends.

Thank you. It a release to be grateful and appreciative of all that one has.

you see... a true manifestation of happiness, outlook and perception is personal as many have posted...The views of the world have nothing to do with your glass of wine...

Michael B.

P.S. I don't need money, I just want to be rich...:) (something real big is about to happen in my life and I have no doubt that I can handle it, I am told my dreams will come true and I will like it. I know, I know...we have all heard this before...but I think my whole life has been a preparation for what is about to come. The excitement and the adventure of my youth, returns to me for a short time this last week and the beginning of this week.)

#74     Oct 15, 2006
  5. laurana

laurana

Hi,

Just want to share something that I think will help. Do a search on "Epictetus" and read his works. I find contained inside, a simple/easy to remember solution that addresses the root of a person's "unhappiness" or "happiness" problems.

Laurana

#75     Oct 16, 2006
  6. "Is it true? That the smarter you are the worse the world looks?"

No. The more pessimistic you are the worse the world looks. How does intelligence have anything to do with the negative outlook of the world? Who has enough of an all-encompassing view to really make that decision? Using all of mans intelligence and experience we still cannot even accurately predict the weather a few days in advance. getting better, but anyone here that has been rained on during your picnic that you planned because the weather forecast was excellent knows what I mean.

If you are looking for confirmation of your thoughts that the smarter you get, the worse the outlook for the world is, you will undoubtedly find what you are looking for.

Someone mentioned "adolescent ignorance", I don't believe the ingnorance part, but kids really do have it all figured out. I look at my two youngest and they laugh regularly and deeply. Most of the time it makes me very happy. but sometimes I think "just wait a couple more years and the world will rid you of that optimistic outlook". So while we are here talking about how bad the world is because we are so smart, they are in their ignorance knowing and enjoying how good the world really is. Whos right?

Someone mentioned morals are getting worse. really? Worse compared to what? is this the first generation with crooked politicians? Cause I read a few books on Rome and our crooked politicians can really learn from some of the ancients.

or is it the religous thing and bad morals? Because that same issue has been going on for thousands of years too. I have a few religous friends that talk about cloning, etc. I could never understand why they believe that God created us, then we discovered things like electricity and that was good, but we also discovered cloning, but that was bad? Says who?

Its the Amish syndrome all over again. Here is a group of people that decide that progress is bad, so they cannot use electricity. but they use every invention that man has invented up to that point. Like woven clothing, taming horses, candles, etc. How can you just draw the line somewhere? Those people are pretty friggin stupid.

ps: I feel confident insulting the Amish because since they can't use electricity I am confident they will not be able to post a reply. Plus how many Amish traders have you ever heard about anyway? Maybe they can trade in the pits, but electronic contracts are definitely out.

#76     Oct 16, 2006
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Of course it is true. Smarter you are, bleaker the future looks.

Let's say you are a goatherder in North Africa. Or an Amish in PA.You sure don't worry about peak oil or North Korea having a nuke.
    Birdflu in Asia and monetary crisis on Wall Street.(well, maybe just because their lifes won't change much because of those things)

Blessed are the ignorants, according to the Bible. I have to agree.

Hey, here is a test to check if I am right or wrong. Don't watch news or read papers and the internet for 2 weeks! Spend time with your kids or dog. Let's see if you worry about the above mentioned things during that time. I bet your worry level will decrease....

#77     Oct 16, 2006
  8. taodr

taodr

Don't tell me: your wifie is pregnant !!

#78     Oct 16, 2006
  9. (something real big is about to happen in my life and I have no doubt that I can handle it, I am told my dreams will come true and I will like it. I know, I know...we have all heard this before...but I think my whole life has been a preparation for what is about to come. The excitement and the adventure of my youth, returns to me for a short time this last week and the beginning of this week.)

your prescription for the little blue pills came in the mail? just kidding.

#79     Oct 16, 2006
  10. sooo..its YOU sending me all those fricken emails :)

#80     Oct 16, 2006