Is it true? That the smarter you are the worse the world looks?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ElectricSavant, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Banjo

Banjo

Why would anyone with smarts want to be in power knowing he would spend all his days dealing with morons. If he managed to lift the country/world up the next moron would come along and bring it back to his level. Cutten's analisys gets my vote.

#121     Oct 22, 2006
  2. Thats not what I said, the smarter you are the more you realise how thin the line is between civilised man and monkeys

#122     Oct 22, 2006
  3. The line is very thin as you can readily see...:p

[​IMG]

#123     Oct 22, 2006
  4. One of them is a powerful leader of his group

The other is Bush

#124     Oct 22, 2006

5. I would like to try to defend Bush. As far as I know, he has never flung his own feces at other people.

I think the answer is "the more pessimistic you become, the worse the world looks". This thread linked smartness to seeing the world in a bad light. Why wouldn't a smart person see all the opportunities, instead of the restrictions?

#125     Oct 22, 2006
  6. Banjo

Banjo

Chimps and humans share 97% of their dna, possibly somewhere in time a dim witted human and an exceptionally sharp chimp spent an evening together.

#126     Oct 22, 2006
  7. I guess because it's a little hard to put a positive spin on pointless wars and the atrocities associated with them, the thousands of species we kill off everyday, the pollution we pump into our own world, the forests we kill off at a horrific rate... and of course the 80 thousand children that die every day because they dont have 2 cents worth of sugared water... yeah thats right, thats what a childs life is worth, 2 cents... and for all our trillions of dollars we dont seem to be able to spare that 2 cents... thats a species that deserves to become instinct by it's own hand

#127     Oct 22, 2006
  8. Banjo

Banjo

A smart person would realize it's all more random than humans want to believe. We are like turkeys in the U.S. thinking how nice we have it, they give us a place to stay, food, other turkeys to hang with. They don't know it's 3 days before Thanksgiving. We spend our lives tyring to control natural randomness.

#128     Oct 22, 2006

9. Not that you don't make some good points, but just to play devils advocate, pointless wars and attrocities associated with them??? After 9/11 everyone was gung-ho to go fight terrorists. I won't even go into the whole WMD issue, thats been played out, but we still wanted blood. Then it became unpopular. whatever. That subject is a no-win situation, I won't even debate it because its pointless. And i think I could do a great job debating both sides in that argument. good thing I have multiple personalities.

Thousands of species extinct. Ok, but I read somewhere that over 99% of every species that ever lived on this planet is currently extinct. thats part of natural selection. Or if you are not a believer in natural selection, its Gods way of removing the species he is done with. A side note that does not get much attention is new species. new species are evolved/created regularly too. Part of the way things work.

Plenty of kids die every day. While I do not mean to minimize that, is it better for them to pass away, or should we keep them just healthy enough to live so they can have a really crappy life living in some shithole third world country, only to die from genocide, murder, or old age after a long daily struggle of survival? I believe that if we all donated half of what we earn, we could make the whole planet a better place. Who wants to donate first? Thats part of the problem, everybody wants things to be better, but hardly anybody will step up to the plate and make the hard sacrifices. How do you solve that dilema?

What about the tsunami that hit a year or two ago. i forget how many hundreds of thousands of people died. That was terrible. Then they started collections to help that area. Celebrities jumped onboard and tried to raise money for a tragic event that cannot be avoided in the future. nice job, good thinking, too bad almost 100,000 people die a month worldwide from malaria. Thats every single month. thats something we can prevent. Too bad its not popular enough for celebrities to help out there. I guess we will just have to hope Bill Gates gets that solved.

Pollution. Thats a great topic. Everybody wants something done but the masses will not stop buying and driving huge SUVs. Its hard enough to even get people to turn off a light when they leave a room, why would they want to inconvienence themselves with bigger issues? Like driving a small foreign car that is not cool? "I would love to help, but i just feel safer driving alone in my suburban" is the answer you will get.

Pollution will get handled one of two ways. We will wake up and as a group do something about it. or nature will handle the problem for us. One way is good for us, the other does not seem like it will be to our advantage.

#129     Oct 22, 2006
  10. The above is so bad I'm going to pass commenting on it because the heights of profanity I would need to ascend would ensure being banned for life

#130     Oct 22, 2006