Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by QdzResurrection, Oct 31, 2003.

1. ...and your's will make us a nation of minimum wage telemarketers, hawking goods made in China.

#21     Nov 1, 2003
  2. Enough is enough, all the whiners who came in this thread. The thread is about trading and money in the future, not politics.

100% up room way to go.

:p

#22     Nov 1, 2003
  3. ...you foolish boy, they are all one in the same.

#23     Nov 1, 2003
  4. gms

gms

Here's something I've wondered about: "Democratic" means "of, or belonging to, or upholding democracy", while "Republican" means "of, or belonging to, the Republican Party" [Webster's]. It seems to me that the Democrats have permitted the noble term "democratic" to apply to themselves and their doings, as in "the Democratic Party", "the Democratic Senator", "the Democratic Convention", and so forth, and that use of the word subliminally flavors their dealings as upholding democracy, whether they actually do or not. Shades of William Safire. A "democratic Senator" is a Senator who upholds democracy regardless of their party affiliation, isn't it? A "democratic party" is any political party that upholds democracy, true? A "democratic Convention" is a convention held in accord with the principles of democracy, whatever that would entail, ain't it so? It should be instead "the Democrat Party", "the Democrat Senator", "the Democrat Convention", etc., because they're Democrats and not Democratics, and these are things of the Democrats, and these things are not necessarily in and of themselves democratic, adjective-wise. After all, you don't hear people saying "The Republicanic Party", "the Republicanic Senator", "the Republicanic Convention".

#24     Nov 1, 2003
  5. pspr

pspr

Well, the Democ-rats could rename themselves the "Idiot Party". Then it would be the "Idiotic Senator", the "Idiotic Representative", the "Idiotic Convention", etc. That would make more sense to me.

#25     Nov 1, 2003
  6. Casey30

Casey30

Whether it is the Dem's or the Rep's, they are both really good at spending your's and my money. Gosh, it is almost like this record budget deficit is non-existent. How can any Republican be proud of that?

As for the rich driving job growth? I once heard a statistic that something like 90% of new jobs are created by small businesses. If that is true, then I guess we could debate whether those small businesses are owned by rich people or somewhat slightly above average people.

Oh, what kind of cars do you think those rich people are buying, chevy's or fords? Sorry, All I see in the parking lot's of the people who work on Wall ST are Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, VW. Very few domestic cars in that lot.

Some of you make it seem like the average American is a beer swilling, lazy, TV watching, space wasting piece of crap. That is terrible. For the most part this economy was proped up by the consumer for the past three years as our corporate giants cut capital spending and jobs.

When I was a teen I worked at Mcdonald's for a short while. For the most part you work your as off for 5 bucks an hour. Now, I probably work 1/100th as hard but make much more. Seriously, do you think sitting at your desk all day trading or working on a spreadsheet is so much more harder or admirable then those working on a assembly line at a factory or those working at Walmart. Sure we are making much more money at what we do, but is it that much more important than what they do? Would you rather have all those beer swilling people decide that what they do is unimportant and instead come to your house at night and rob you for everything you have. I am sure that would be so much easier for them instead of having to work for the money in a menial job.

Maybe we should be targeting tax cuts to areas where we feel are beneicail for society instead of just how much money you make, whether it be a little or a lot. For example, cut taxes on those who decide to become a teacher, doctor, scientist, social worker, police. Raise taxes on lawyers, investment bankers, politicains(just kidding), etc.

#26     Nov 1, 2003

7. WRONG. a golden age is almost here, stop keeping us in the past.

best,

surfer:)

#27     Nov 1, 2003
  8. This is exactly what Marx thought. Do you think that you would be living in a fine home and driving a nice car and have plenty of food if we were all poor people just doing something to get by?

#28     Nov 1, 2003
  9. pspr

pspr

Absolutely correct! If the "poor worker" were slaves with no choice but to work for someone else, then JQP's argument would have been correct. But as free persons deciding for themselves to work for someone else or take the risks of entrepreneurship JPQ's argument is invalid.

The very freedom to choose your path in life is what has made America great. Of course, it is not perfect - some have better chances in life than others but no place on Earth offers the average individual a more equal opportunity to make something of his life than the U.S.

Wally

#29     Nov 1, 2003
  10. jhburton

jhburton

Sound like the new breed of Republicans. A Goldwater Republican here.

#30     Nov 1, 2003