Is it time...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bronks, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Well, I would say if your computer is not acting sluggish or freezing or locking up when you are running the programs you use every day, then you don't need a new computer.

#11     Feb 15, 2006
  2. Banjo

Banjo

Could well be. Bronks , have you uninstalled firefox and then re installed. Maybe it has become corrupted, tried defrag, disk cleanup etc? All the usuall stuff.

#12     Feb 15, 2006
  3. bronks

bronks

Ware, I think Trevor at MD did a good job at paring it down from what it once was. I definitely have some fat-assed programs running.

Banjo, I called them up about two weeks ago inquiring if their high end graphics card (256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory) could handle 4 monitors. He said he never heard of that one before. It was a yes or no question, so it kinda turned me off to them...sigh. I really wanted a turn-key system out of the box and I was hoping Dell could do it.

Yeah, I did all the usual of maintanence, defragging, etc.

#13     Feb 15, 2006
  4. Banjo

Banjo

Well then, it's back to lifting iron for you :D Other than that ratty puter how are you doing, hanging in there?

#14     Feb 15, 2006
  5. bronks

bronks

Screw it. Banjo, if you or others could tell me EXACTLY which graphics card that supports 4-6 monitors I can throw in that Dell machine, I'm buying it. From other threads it seems X-TRADER is real particular about that point, so I'd rather pay a little more in that respect. Sorry, I do follow other threads but I still can't figure out which one exactly.

#15     Feb 15, 2006
  6. bronks

bronks

Love life? Ho hum. Trading?:D :D :D

#16     Feb 15, 2006
  7. bronks

bronks

Hey guys, I just purchased this system from Dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=dim31p4min&s=bsd

I upgraded to the 640 processor and WINXP-PRO and 2 gigs of RAM.

I did the numbers crunching on building my own box and also went to a mom and pop shop, and in both instances, couldn't get the value and convenience that dell provided. The only thing is I had to pay out my ass for shipping to Hawaii, no breaks there.

I plan on installing two Nvidia G450's dual head cards to run 4 monitors. Along with the native port I'll have the capability of running 5.

Thanks for the help.

#17     Mar 5, 2006
  8. bronks

bronks

Oh crap. I just read on another thread about the Nvidia Quadro NVS 280/285 cards. I'm assuming I should maybe go with these instead of the G450's?

Dammit this shit is confusing.

#18     Mar 5, 2006
  9. bronks

bronks

After doing some research, it looks like the Nvidia Quadro NVS 280/285 cards have only a single head... *scratching my head*

I guess it's back to the 450's.

Banjo, Gnome--where are you guys? Or somebody.

EDIT: or maybe this one: NVIDIA Quadro4 NVS 400

#19     Mar 5, 2006
  10. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

Look here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadronvs.html

You need a special cable to operate two screens on one of these cards.

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#20     Mar 5, 2006