Is It Time For Conservatives To Abandon The Republican Party?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

Get out of here. People have been turning to conservatism because liberals have nothing left to offer. Just like the conservative segregationists back in the 60s, liberal causes today turn people off.

There are many different conservative ideas, and now that many facets of conservatism are no longer treated as comic relief (Buchanan et al), people are finally seriously debating these ideas –far from a symptom of self-destruction.

In fact, mark my words, the Democratic Party will take on some form of a conservative identity for their very salvation as a Party. They have no choice; Americans are going conservative. Democrats once had the South and it wasn’t because of Liberalism.

The Republican party needs to shape up as well. Where are the Goldwater republicans?

#21     Mar 29, 2006
  2. The paleocon ultra- minority and the rest of the conservatives would not even agree on the signing of the Constitution. Alexander Hamilton and Pat Buchanan would definitely duel if they were living in the same era.

Conservativism is definitely not dead despite Bush's mismanagement. Look at how the Democratic party has adopted more conservative ideas and many historically liberal (an oxymoron) developed countries have warmed up to free- markets and capitalism. Unless you are dictator of some banana republic with vast resources like Venezuela, the nanny state will never fly over the long run.

This week's Economist has a great article on the possible legacy W.

#22     Mar 29, 2006
  3. I think everyone agrees the republicans are in trouble with their backers. It's ironic that if the Democrats could move a bit to the center, they could pretty easily take over the congress and presidency. But they can't do it. All their leaders are hard left people who would lose all credibility if they suddenly started arguing for tax cuts.

So we face a future in which the Democrats appeal to a smaller and smaller base, the Republicans campaign on the implicit slogan "We're not as bad as they are" and most voters are left to grind their teeth in frustration.

Fertile ground for a third and fourth party movement. And the issues are there to galvanize such movements, immigration and the war.

#23     Mar 29, 2006
  4. Keep thinking they can't do it....

#24     Mar 29, 2006
  5. Nonsense. Hard core republicans demand the democrats to move to the center instead of demanding that their own party move to the center. What a bunch of hypocritical crap. (no offense AAA).

Never mind the fact that more and more americans are warming up to the idea of Universal Healthcare, minimum wage increases, imposition of certain limits on free trade and outsourcing - all traditional democratic values. Let alone a woman's right to choose which is and has always been supported by a significant majority of Americans.

#25     Mar 29, 2006
  6. jem

jem

first I said bush was a liberal who moved that is why he has a mixture that turned out ot be crap.

Now regarding this stuff. limits on free trade and outsourcing seemed to be the calling card of Perot and Buchanon. It was clinton who set that ball rolling with nafta was it not?

And as far as a womens right to choose being supported by a majority of americans. Last time I read the stats the majority of americans did not support an unfettered right to choose. The only majority was with respect to abortion after rape. The majority of americans favor less access to fetus killing.

#26     Mar 29, 2006
  7. You misunderstand me. I don't want the Democrats to move to the center. Even if they did, I still wouldn't vote for them because I would know they were lying. But if they did move to the center and were at least somewhat credible with it, they'd attract enough disillusioned republican voters to be in control.

I will say that you are a good example of why the Democrats can't win. All those programs you propose sound good on paper, but when people actually get to vote, they reject them. That's why liberals have to rely so heavily on the courts to enact their agenda.

Still there's noting wrong with caring more about principle than being in power. i respect that about the Democrats and wish the Republicans were more that way.

#27     Mar 29, 2006
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Willful negligence = complicity.

Check out Sibel Edmonds testimony.

America is no more safe from terror attacks than it was pre 911.

And therefore, neither is our Bill of Rights or Constitution.

I wonder what will happen to our Constitution when the terrorists detonate a few low yield nukes in a major American city?

Game over.

#28     Mar 29, 2006
  9. You can't be serious. Dems are the kings and queens of flip- flopping on issues based on public opinion polls.

#29     Mar 29, 2006
  10. as far as a "womans right to choose", i am repub and i am also prochoice

it is the REPUBS that accept pro-choicers within their ranks

the dems do not accept prolifers within theirs.

so, your point is weak on that regards

repub convention even had guiliani and arnold as key speakers. both prochoice repubs.

not one prolife dem at any convention is allowed to speak

compare - contrast

#30     Mar 29, 2006