Is it the "price of gas, stupid"?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Just some? Alright, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

[​IMG]

I need to head out for the day, thanks for your "open" minded conversation.

#11     Feb 21, 2012
  2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Your own chart shows gigantic divergences between crude and gasoline. Did you read your own chart?

Good Lord, that chart is mean reversion tradeable!

#12     Feb 21, 2012
  3. Eight

Eight

The Saudi's are running out of oil, their supply has peaked. They can see that they might as well cut back on it while we are working towards going after the really expensive stuff, they might as well cash in on the situation... also, they might have thought that Democrats would mean less wars but Obama stood by wringing his hands while the Military totally screwed with Ghadafi utterly illegally..

Where are all those anti-war assholes when Democrats are in power? I recall how they used to post a hundred insults a day here on ET when Bush was in the WH...

#13     Feb 21, 2012
  4. rew

rew

There is always speculation in the oil price, as there is in any commodity. So what? There was speculation 20 years ago, too. That doesn't explain why oil is higher now than it was then.

Speculators always get blamed when the price of a commodity goes up, they never get credited when the price of a commodity goes down, even though you'll find as many speculators on the short side as on the long side. It seems that a major social function of speculators is to serve as whipping boys for the political class when oil or food gets expensive for reasons that are either nobody's fault or are due to bad policies by the politicians.

#14     Feb 21, 2012
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

no, I didn't read my own chart. I just posted it blindly.

The chart is not meant as an intraday arb opportunity, but a long term trend. I can't believe I have to explain something so obvious.

#15     Feb 22, 2012
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So you think there is the same speculation in the price of oil today as there was 20 years ago, then?

#16     Feb 22, 2012
  7. "There are no magic solutions to rising oil prices," said White House press secretary Jay Carney.

Definition of CARNEY

1: a person who works with a carnival

Rhymes with Blarney

#17     Feb 22, 2012
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Solution to the carnival's oil dilemma - sound monetary policy and a strong dollar.

#18     Feb 22, 2012
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

No explanation required. I can read a chart and yours contra-indicates your own assertion.

You seem intent on being a jackass about it. I'm disappointed. I hadn't realized what a child you are until now. It sorta explains the Ron Paul thing I guess.

#19     Feb 22, 2012
  10. rew

rew

Yes. Speculators were just as "greedy" 20 years ago.

#20     Feb 22, 2012