Is It Smart to Trade in US Stocks if You Are Based in the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Cody Lim, Jun 9, 2016.

1. d08

d08

You have demonstrated that you don't know the difference between commissions, stamp duty and taxes.

Assuming the broker is in the Philippines and trading US stocks, why would I pay commission to the Philippines Stock Exchange? It has nothing to do with the PSE.
    Commissions are per exchange (+regulatory fees) and not by country.

#21     Jun 11, 2016
    luisHK and Cody Lim like this.
  2. Cody Lim

Cody Lim

Thanks for clearing that up. jk90029's reply got me confused for a while there.

#22     Jun 13, 2016
  3. luisHK

luisHK

is there a transaction trading PSE ? if so Jk will be convinced one has to pay the PSE transaction tax when trading US stocks from the Phils.

#23     Jun 13, 2016
  4. d08

d08

Well, he can just wire some money to PSE, they might just decide to keep it.

#24     Jun 13, 2016
  5. Hey, thought I'd chime in here. I'm based in Manila and day trade the US stock and futures market. Yes, the hours suck, but I've always been a night owl anyway. I sometimes trade the eurex open in the afternoons, but i generally do better in the U.S. markets so keep finding myself up all hours of the night.

Regarding the local market, I don't know that much about it, but I haven't heard of anyone day trading it as the commissions are quite cost prohibitive with most local brokers from what I've seen. Also, if you're a foreign resident in the Phils, you are not taxed on income made outside the country so why even bother with the local market?

#25     Jul 4, 2016
  6. mgarc

mgarc

just curious, if you are a resident citizen in the philippines, and you trade stocks or futures in the US, what are your tax obligations in the philippines?

#26     Dec 14, 2016
  7. none, if you are a foreigner. You're only obliged to pay taxes on money made IN the Philippines. But you mentioned you're citizen, so I'm really not sure. Best to check with a local tax advisor.

#27     Dec 14, 2016
  8. mgarc

mgarc

thanks for the input, but yeah, best to ask a local tax advisor concerning citizens.

#28     Dec 24, 2016
    sandsurfer likes this.
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    #29     Dec 24, 2016
  10. mgarc

mgarc

was just curious about trading US markets from the philippines for filipino citizens residing in the philippines (not really investing in the philippines).

#30     Dec 25, 2016