Is it really necessary to trade 100K-300K+ shares a day to make a living trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by gnom, Mar 19, 2010.

1. I think you're just thinking about it the wrong way. Don't worry about averages: per share, per day, per year etc. Just worry about your setup. I've had 5-figure days trading less than 20k shares, but it goes the other way too. Profit per share is more a function of the price and volatility of the stocks you trade; if you like to trade BIDU, FSLR, MA day in, day out, then you really don't need to trade many shares at all to win or lose big.

I don't see the connection between stop placement and daily avg volume.

#11     Mar 19, 2010
  2. gnom

gnom

If you trade a lot of shares you either go quick in and out with smaller size or scale in and build bigger position in several stocks in my opinion. If you build bigger position and it doesn't work how do you close it if you have 5000 shares? In that case tight stop could hurt, right?

#12     Mar 19, 2010
  3. No.Heat

No.Heat

Interesting to read the different perspectives.

The more capital I trade the more money I make, if I trade insignificant money, I make insignificant gains.

No Heat

#13     Mar 19, 2010
  4. Tight is all relative. I think most of the high volume is done in liquid stocks with relatively larger positions; it's not hard to do half a million shares if you're trading say BAC or GE at 5-10k shares a clip. As long as you can get out of your position with decent slippage, a tight stop might be fine.

#14     Mar 19, 2010
  5. LeeD

LeeD

It also depends on how you define "making living". A manging director from a major investment bank is as likely to spend all the money he/she earns as a street sweeper working for the minimal wage.

#15     Mar 19, 2010

6. Look up the word 'leverage' on Investopedia

#16     Mar 19, 2010
  7. lescor

lescor

You can operate a low margin, high volume business or you can make a higher markup on fewer items moved. Both businesses can have the same bottom line.

You can trade a million shares a day for a penny or you can swing trade a couple thousand shares a day for a couple dollars and make the same amount.

There's a LOT of different ways to make money in the markets.

#17     Mar 20, 2010
  8. weezer

weezer

I found a mixed bag of tricks work out best..I trade with 60-75 k in my trading account . I swing trade 90% in stocks with an ave of 0.75-1.5 % daily profit and trade 5-10 ES cars for 20-30 ticks daily..10% in cash to cover losses or quick news driven pops. I started this March 1st , so far I am up 7%.

#18     Mar 20, 2010
  9. If you're just swing trading you will have more P/L volatility than if you're scalping. Scalping should have a smoother equity curve since you place more trades. If scalping stocks under $100 I don't see anyone making a living with less than 50k shares traded daily. If you're a good trader not going through a slump the more shares you trade the more money you make.

#19     Mar 20, 2010
  10. bln

bln

Why does one have to make $2k-$3k a day to make a living. You know that that accounts for $50,000 a month and close to 1 million a year? 20 times more than a regular employment pays out.

The number of shares traded is totally irrelevant. A 10% profit trading a $150 stock is the same as trading a $15 stock or a $1.5 stock, just 10 times less shares but the same gain.

#20     Mar 20, 2010