is it really hard to short stocks these days?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by chipmunk, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Man I tried to short just 200 LULU stocks on Friday and was told none were available to short. So is shorting US stocks out of the equation these days? Damm...I'll have to move into futures.

2. Your broker might be able to borrow shares from another broker for you to sell short.

3. zdreg

zdreg

did you ever take a course in logic? because you couldn't borrow one particularly stock doesn't lead to the conclusion that US stocks are unavailable to short. short something else or buy deep in the money puts as a substitute.
    another possibility is to move your account to a firm which has a bigger stock loan box. by the way it may have been unborrowable only on the day you were interested in shorting it.

07-18-11 05:47 AM
    Your broker might be able to borrow shares from another broker for you to sell short.

hook- he just told you that his broker is unwilling to allow him to short this particular stock. customers are not interested where the borrowed shares come from. the broker makes the decision.

4. emg

emg

Brokerages do not like small traders. They just lose!

5. Man and here was me expecting a serious answer....Wha't the point in developing a system that goes long and short if most of the time you cannot short stocks or can only short a few?

How do you know wnat broker i tried this with or the size of my account? Childish.

Thx

6. zdreg

zdreg

you received a serious answer.
    you are still reaching unwarranted and incorrect conclusions about short stock availability.
    do some legwork and stop whining.