Is it really an Edge?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tanp21, Aug 20, 2003.

1. It says all! :D (And stress!)

#21     Aug 20, 2003
  2. Virtually (nearly) every profitable trader on the planet would insist her/his method/system is the (world's) best (profitable) one. :D :D :D

#22     Aug 20, 2003
  3. Dear Tanp21,

This is often our everyday problem. Once you recognize "discretionary parts" in your strategy, you are really saying that you cannot communicate to us what is truly in your edge.

Going back to your question to this thread:

"My question to everyone out there, how do you know your method has a real edge?",

the discretionary nature of part of your system makes it futile to say much sensible about this. I haste to add that your systems might be highly valuable to you, but we do not have sufficient information about them.

The information you supply about your money management and your stop strategies certainly make sense, but they do not make up for the discretionary parts.

Remember though, if you cannot state to yourself what goes into your edge, you probably don't have one. As I said to FasterPussycat, if you truly would have an edge, don't display it on a thread. I'm sure you know better.

Good luck to you, keep working at it.

#23     Aug 20, 2003
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Probably because by the time one finally finds something that "works", he's so delighted about it that he convinces himself he's found The True Way. What he doesn't realize is that he found not The True Way, but a shoe that fits. He may even have found something that allows him to be sloppy, though in that case he may just be postponing the inevitable.

#24     Aug 20, 2003
  5. You posted this to the wrong thread. Go to the "Joke" forum. :confused: :D

#25     Aug 20, 2003
  6. Careful, commissions generated from scalping can make an enormous difference. A scalper who makes 10 trades/day needs to net 1 1/2 points each day for 20 days to keep up with a single trend trade (for futures).

#26     Aug 20, 2003
  7. You are exactly rght. Perhaps I phrased it incorrectly when I said 'net a 1/2 point per day.' I meant to imply after costs. Actually I don't scalp either, so the real numbers that you provide are an education. Thanks!

#27     Aug 20, 2003
  8. Yes of course. Understood it's implied. :)

#28     Aug 20, 2003

9. yes.

#29     Aug 20, 2003
  10. IN2WIN

IN2WIN

Could not agree more.

And yes; there are winning methods (systems).

#30     Aug 20, 2003