Is it possible to trade Comex gold electronically?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by cunparis, Jan 2, 2009.

1. I'd like to trade something more liquid than YG & ZG so I'm thinking of Comex gold. Can it be traded electronically? So far I've just found GC but I think that is the pit contract.

2. Why not trade the gold ETF GLD?

3. Futures have more leverage.

4. True.

DGP is a double leveraged spot gold gold play as an ETF. Leverage cuts both ways.

5. TT Guru

TT Guru

6. I just looked but I don't see how to tell if it's pit or electronic. I'm not sure which symbol to use with IQFeed. I figured GC would give me the pit one.

7. garfield

garfield

there is no difference in symbol for pit and electronic for nymex/comex metals and energy.

metals and energy are traded side by side during pit hours and then electronic - all the time under the same symbol.

for gold the symbol is GC and the most active contract is feb. you can try GC G9

8. Jachyra

Jachyra

On TT, GC is Comex (Nymex) Gold traded electronically on Globex. It can definitely be traded, but the spreads are typically 2 to 4 (sometimes as wide as 6) ticks.

9. http://www.nymex.com/GC_spec.aspx

Electronic trading is conducted via the CME Globex® trading platform from 6:00 PM Sundays through 5:15 PM Fridays, Eastern Time, with a 45-minute break each day between 5:15 PM and 6:00 PM. Off-Exchange transactions can be submitted solely for clearing to the NYMEX ClearPort® clearing website as an exchange of futures for swaps (EFS) or exchange of futures for physicals (EFP) transaction until 5:15 PM, Monday through Friday, and the day preceding a holiday.

10. garfield

garfield

If you are comfortable trading futures, I am not sure why you want to mess with the etf.

Here is the GLD chart. The gaps are horrible and if you are trading with tight stops you dont want to go anywhere near the etf.

• gld.jpg
      File size:
      73.7 KB
      Views:
    #10     Jan 2, 2009