Is it possible to switch into a career in web development from being self taught?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bizkitgto, Mar 18, 2019.

1. bizkitgto

bizkitgto

I've see countless blog posts about people claiming to successfully transition into web development careers after learning the basics on their own. There are several bootcamps people have attended, as well as online schools such as Free Code Camp or Udemy, where people that have finished have been able to find decent paying jobs. Is this all BS? I always thought of web dev to be like the bottom of the barrel in the software world. I've thought about giving this a shot, I just don't want to get swindled.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

If you master Javascript, HTML, CSS, MySQL, and either PHP or a framework like React, Vue, or Angular, I find it hard to believe that you would have trouble finding work. There's just so much work to do it's ridiculous.

3. bizkitgto

bizkitgto

Thanks for the reply. Did you transition into this field via self studying, or did you get a CS degree?

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It's all been self-study for me. The technology changes so fast that traditional universities just haven't been able to keep their curriculums up to date. It's for that reason that we've seen so many new training companies offering online courses for all these newer languages, frameworks and other technologies.

bizkitgto and userque like this.
  5. The OP should consider going the CS route and consider AI over web/software development. The engineering and AI fields are going to have a ball once the robots and spaceships come online.

The human singularity or technology singularity could be as soon as 2029. Good luck to all living carbon based lifeforms.

6. bizkitgto

bizkitgto

Good to know, I've played around with simple web stuff for a while (HTML/CSS/JS), I never got into frameworks or databases. Would you mind sharing what your learning path was and how you ended up getting a job? Is this still relevant today? I'm thinking of following the Free Code Camp path. I do enjoy making stuff online, I haven't done much past weather APIs and ofcourse: making stock tickers!

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

My path was HTML > ColdFusion > MySQL > PHP > CSS > JS > Flexbox

I'm currently learning Vue.js now.

ColdFusion was a server-side language that is no longer relevant today. That's why PHP replaced it in my learning path. I started this website over 20 years ago, so most of my learning has been related to my desire to create, maintain and upgrade this site.

I have a lot of friends who are web developers and there's never been one of them that has ever said to me that they don't have a job or any work as a freelancer. It more a matter of them choosing the opportunity they like the most.

gwb-trading likes this.
  8. userque

userque

Any idea which sites they use, if any, to obtain non-referred freelance work?

9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

10. tsznecki

tsznecki

Yes you can.

There is a perception however that bootcamps are not as good as an actual school. How you interview will brush that aside or not.

Have a good github.

Web dev pays decent and is certainly not bottom of the barrel.

#10     Mar 19, 2019