Is it possible to set a opening bell alert for 9:30 am M-F in IB TWS?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by graz, Sep 15, 2017.

1. graz

graz

I searched in the TWS Alerts area but I think that only applies to specific instruments but I may be wrong. If it's not possible, do you guys have any suggestions of using an alarm that stays in sync with the TWS clock?

Reason for my question is I like to display pre-market hours on my TWS charts, but I don't see any settings to add shading or a different color in the chart background which differentiates off hours trading from 9:30-4:00. At a glance it makes it difficult for me to know exactly when the market starts aside from looking at the time axis and increased volatility/volume.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. d08

d08

Task Scheduler. Should take you 2 minutes to set that up.

graz likes this.
  3. graz

graz

Thanks! Sounds like a great idea. The issue is, my PC time (even with the Windows Time service running) never stays in sync with the TWS clock. I also run Ninjatrader8 charting with TWS feed which uses the PC time. Every morning, I need to adjust the PC time to match the TWS clock so my NT8 candles are drawn correctly. So since I'm adjusting the PC time anyway every morning, the task scheduler alarm will work.

4. graz

graz

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  5. Overnight

Overnight

You might also wish to change your sync server to time.nist.gov Probably more accurate than the Windows server.

graz likes this.
  6. graz

graz

I did change it to that server. Thanks. Also I tried 0.us.pool.ntp.org. Not a big difference if at all. I read the Windows server is less reliable.