Is it possible to separate an IB account into many accounts for different strategies?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Daal, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I agree. This seems pretty easy to implement, it's just an accounting issue, but very useful for traders, would save a heck of a lot of spreadsheet BS. It would be nice for IB to implement this very basic option.

#31     Apr 5, 2011
  2. IB-AN

IB-AN Interactive Brokers

Correct, there is a single user in a linked account. I'd need further clarification as I don't understand the reference to "...and facilities to Tax..."

Market data is only paid for the single user as they can only operate a session for a single account at one time. If you add additional users, they would need to also pay for market data.

Each account which is linked to that user is subject to the monthly account minimum. It is correct that linking accounts provides no benefits here.

#32     Apr 5, 2011
  3. jma

jma

Very thanks, but I have some doubts here.

It is linked account in my name, I think it is not possible to add new names.
    "2- The date the I pay in main account, example, pink sheet, I pay 3$, only pay for one, and not pay for linked, but linked account access for data in pink sheet and not pay for this, right?"
    It is right?

So, in condition above, I pay only one time the 3$? Not 3$ for the main and linked? I do not have pay 6$?

#33     Apr 5, 2011
  4. Millionaire

Millionaire

When trading the same instrument with different strategies in related accounts, IB will sometimes cancel orders if there is a risk of orders crossing, incase the accounts might trade with each other.

Their software checks across related accounts!

#34     Apr 5, 2011
  5. IB-AN

IB-AN Interactive Brokers

I apologize, but i'm not certain I fully understand your questions. It is accurate that a linked account can only be in the name of a given individual and you cannot add other individuals to the account as an owner (e.g., link a joint account to an individual). You can, however, add additional users to the account as previously noted.

In addition, accounts which are linked do not pay more than once for a given market data subscription which is associated to one user. There is no master/sub account relationship in a linked structure so it's not clear what you mean when you refer to a 'main' account. If you have additional questions regarding your particular account, feel free to send a private message.

#35     Apr 5, 2011
  6. jma

jma

Ok
    I call the main account, the principal, the first. The "account".

So, I think you answer all.
    I think understand this:
    If i pay 3$ for Market Data Subscriptions in principal account, it is not necessary pay addicional 3$ to have Market Data Subscriptions in linked account.
    There are not in "Account Management" data subscription especificaly for linked account.

This is a doubt, because, I read some message here, that if I do not have trades in linked account, I have to pay the 10$ even I trade a lot in principal. And I thought it is equal for market data subscription, but no.

#36     Apr 5, 2011
  7. Sorry to bring up this old thread, I have three accounts in IB, if one goes burst due to margin call, will it impact the other two? Thanks!

#37     Nov 17, 2018
  8. Overnight

Overnight

As an FYI, there's nothing wrong with posting a new question in a new thread, rather than refreshing a 7 1/2 YO thread. Don't be shy, they won't bite. Mostly. :)

#38     Nov 17, 2018
  9. Ok, will do. Thanks

#39     Nov 17, 2018