Is it possible to separate an IB account into many accounts for different strategies?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Daal, Mar 22, 2011.

1. IB-AN

IB-AN Interactive Brokers

When you create a linked account, the accounts are linked by a common User Name and given User Name can log into only one session at a time. It is only after login that the User defines which account he wished to act upon (through a drop-down window in each of Account Management and TWS/WebTrader).

To accomplish what you are attempting, you would need to create a second User. The upside of this is that you can maintain separate sessions withthe two logins; the downside is that it entails a separate User Name/password combination as well as a separate billing for market data.

There are two types of additional users: a second user of the master (typically used for API purposes) and a power of attorney user (typically used to provide another famility member with access to your account). For instructions on the former, type KB1004 into the search engine on our website, for the latter type KB1001.

#21     Apr 4, 2011
  2. Thanks, IB-AN. I just read the two pages you mentioned about adding second users. A couple of questions that aren't answered on those pages:

1) Do the master/secondary accounts all share the same account balance or are the funds partitioned with each account having its own separate account balance/buying power?

2) The following is mentioned under "Important Notes":

"1. In accordance with market data vendor requirements, the account will be assessed a separate market data subscription fee for each user account added. In addition, user account market data subscriptions are tied to and cannot vary from that of the account holder."

I'm not sure I completely understand the last part about subscriptions not being able to vary from the account holder. The seems to imply that each account must share the same 100 symbols. Am I reading that wrong?

Note that I just use the US Securities and Commodities Non-Pro Bundle for my data feed (the $10/mo fee is waived as I trade about 10K shares per day).

Could I get around all this confusion by just creating another single account via the "Apply Now" button on IB's web page (the same way I created my existing account) or is one only allowed a single registered account per SSN or something?

Sorry for all the stupid questions; I just want to make sure I've got it right.

#22     Apr 4, 2011
  3. IB-AN

When you add a second user (regardless of which type) you are not creating a new account but simpley a different point of access for the same account. Thus there is no partitioning of the assets within that account. Either user can trade the account.

If you are adding a second user (which is intended to be used by the same account owner who is the primary user), the market data subscriptions would remain the same in both accounts, but since you can have two sessions open simultaneously you would be required to pay for two subscriptions. Each user would also be eligible for 100 lines of market data (i.e., they do not share).

If you attempt create another single account via the "Apply Now" button on the web page and your email address is the same as on an existing account, it will simply link the two accounts.

In sum, a linked account serves to associate separately funded and margined accounts (e.g., U111XX and U222XX) by linking to a common User ID. In contrast, adding a second user to a given account (e.g., U111XX)simply provides you or another individual with another means of accessing the same account.

#23     Apr 4, 2011
  4. Cool - Thanks very much for clearing that up, IB-AN; Its been very helpful.

I'll take your advice and just add a secondary user to my existing account to trade my two bots simultaneously on 2x100 symbols. Sharing the total buying power of one account seems a more efficient use of capital than splitting it up and having to re-balance it every so often. Also, I plan on eventually enabling portfolio margin and using a single pool of funds would make it easier to stay above the PM minimum equity requirements.

Thanks again!

#24     Apr 4, 2011
  5. Is there a way to get a third user? Does it make any difference if it's on the FA master account or on a regular individual account?

#25     Apr 4, 2011
  6. IB-AN

On an individual account you can have one additional user (for the account owner) up to 15 for users operating under a power of attorney arrangement (e.g., for family members).

For master account structures, the Friends & Family provides for the creation of one additional user (for the account owner). Professional Advisors can created unlimited additional users.

#26     Apr 4, 2011
  7. Going back to the original question, I'd say that it would be nice if IB TWS could offer a scheme involving having multiple strategy-specific pages/tabs within TWS, rather than trying to do it with multiple accounts.

For example, strategy page X might reflect only the net positions resulting from trades initiated from that page, or trades somehow flagged as being part of strategy X. Your account might be long 500 SPY, but strategy page X might only have you long 300 SPY.

Maybe there's a better scheme, but I agree that it would be useful to see your positions (and p&l) associated with each strategy. Without that feature, it can get hard to interpret why you have the positions that you do.

#27     Apr 4, 2011
  8. jma

jma

I have some doubts:
    In linked account, individual, the advantage are:
    1- One user, and facilities to Tax? Correct?
    2- The date the I pay in main account, example, pink sheet, I pay 3$, only pay for one, and not pay for linked, but linked account access for data in pink sheet and not pay for this, right?
    2- We have to pay 10USD in each account, if I do not trade in each month, right? So if it is correct it not a advantage.

Thanks

#28     Apr 5, 2011
  9. jma

jma

I have some doubts:
    In linked account, individual, the advantage are:
    1- One user, and facilities to Tax? Correct?
    2- The date the I pay in main account, example, pink sheet, I pay 3$, only pay for one, and not pay for linked, but linked account access for data in pink sheet and not pay for this, right?
    2- We have to pay 10USD in each account, if I do not trade in each month, right? So if it is correct it not a advantage.

Thanks

#29     Apr 5, 2011
  10. zdreg

zdreg

create a monitor page for each strategy. profit totals are on the page.

#30     Apr 5, 2011