Is it possible to profit trading equities by starting with just $1,500 in capital?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by monty21, Apr 8, 2008.

1. You're a piker and a noob. get some real money together.

#21     Apr 20, 2008
  2. Thanks... (STOCKTRAD3R)

I have limited funds because I am about to finish my senior of college, and my parents just spent about $160K on my education and won't contribute to any of my speculative decisions...

otherwise, for the noob part, I'm not sure that definitions fits me well... So, I paper trade, and that does not obviously count as experience, but I think I have a good amount of knowledge...

Here are some of the books I have read in the past two years regarding the market (both fundamental and technical):

The Psychology of Investing - Nofsinger
    Beating the Street - Lynch
    One up on Wall Street - Lynch
    Confessions of a Street Addict - Cramer
    Reminiscences of a Stock Operator - Lefevre
    How to Trade in Stocks - Livermore
    IPOS for everyone - Killian
    How I made 2,000,000 in the Stock Market - Darvas
    Getting Started in Currency Trading - Archer
    Stock Market Rules - Sheimo
    The First Book of Investing - Case
    The Little Book That Beats the Market - Greenblatt
    The Little Black Book of Microcap Investin - Holtzclaw
    The Market Maker's Edge - Lukeman
    Market Wizards - Schwager
    Getting Started in Chart Patterns - Bulkowski
    An American Hedge Fund - Sykes
    Rich Dad Poor Dad - Kiyosaki
    Pit Bull - Schwartz
    Alchemy of Finance - Soros
    Security Analysis (parts) - Graham/Dodd
    How To Take Money from Wall Street - Oz
    Wall Street - Geisst
    Transformation of Wall Street (parts)

Also read parts of several different FOR DUMMIES books (i.e Technical Analysis, Hedge Funds, Trading, Commodities, Series 7, etc)

#22     Apr 23, 2008
  3. Ricter

Ricter

If your parents spent that much on your education, then you probably have, or will soon have, a degree in something useful to society. Please do that instead of trading.

#23     Apr 23, 2008
  4. My major is political science with a concentration in government's role in the economy. I think this subject fits perfectly with trading considering that prices of stocks and bonds are particularly affected by the policies enacted by our Congress.

I never wanted to work directly for the government nor a lobbyist group. I feel like I have a lot of free time now, so I can pursue trading. Otherwise, I am still going to go into Finance and do something such as Investment Banking.

Also, $40,000 + a year is the normal fee for private liberal art schools throughout the U.S. I go to one in Upstate New York, but it is ranked like 57th in the nation (Hobart William Smith Colleges).

#24     Apr 23, 2008
  5. Your parents are bigger fools than you are.

#25     Apr 23, 2008
  6. No, invest it in GE and enroll in a drip program.

You do not have a margin of safety. You want to have a good cash reserve.

#26     Apr 23, 2008
  7. GE is way too slow growth for me.. About the Drip Program, it's a good strategy but obviously more so for like a retirement plan.

#27     Apr 23, 2008
  8. $15 commission for each round trip on $1500 investment means that you have to make 1% just to get even on your money. On top of it, you want an additional 3.3% daily return ($50 on $1500), which makes it a total 4.3% daily return. Compounded over 250 trading days in a year, you are looking to make a 37000% annual return trading stocks and end up with about $55 million. Think you can do it?

#28     Apr 23, 2008
  9. Oh yea wasn't that the stock that fell 12% in one day? Great advice...

This guy is a piker. $1,500 and he paper trades. What a joke.

#29     Apr 23, 2008
  10. OK, stock_trad3r I heard all of your advice. You can now ignore this thread and focus on other ones.

Thanks

#30     Apr 23, 2008