Is it possible to make money automated trading?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by kivd, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

I would just add that adaptability to changing conditions is key. Automation is cool, but I think a lot of folks reading this have had API's die on them.

It's nice to just sit back and watch the green numbers go up, but when market conditions change, or even the policies of your prop firm change, you'd better have something else you're ready to implement.

The answer is yes. But you should always be wondering how long it will last. The best will always have a few things they've been working on which they are ready to put to work when the current one dies a painful death.

#21     Dec 26, 2012
  2. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Changing the words to something completely irrelevant doesn't not make for wit.

But then, you use the word 'Noobs'. I should expect your level of intellect to be on par with your age.

#22     Dec 26, 2012
  3. themickey

themickey

on Ignore

#23     Dec 26, 2012
  4. maxpi

maxpi

well... like.. wow! If people aren't going to heed the warnings of our academics then I don't know what the future holds..

#24     Dec 26, 2012
  5. rickf

rickf

Bingo! You can't just develop something, throw it online, click "go" and expect it to work all the time.

I trade an automated system (I lease it but as an engineer I pretty much know how it works) and am very pleased with the results this past year. However, when the markets got into heinous goofyness over the summer, I turned it off for a few weeks. When I ran the performance report, I saw that it had taken several full-on (though capped) losses on some trades during that time even though it had a few full winners, too. But I didn't care -- I did what I needed to do based on my own assessment of the market at that time. Sumetimes discresion is the better form of valor, and if that helps me further minimise a possible loss in a chaotic environment, that's great!

Bottom line, automated systems can work, and I have become a fan of them to scalp to take away some fairly consistent 'mad money' from the intraday index futures markets, but they are not a fire-and-forget all-weather solution. IMHO the key ... automated or not .... is to maintain objective situational awareness to the market conditions, and if necessary, step aside and let Mr Market do his thing for a while. :)

#25     Dec 26, 2012
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

By definition, doesn't that make your system not automated?

#26     Dec 26, 2012
  7. rickf

rickf

LOL, if you want to get technical, yes. However even an airplane's autopilot gets turned on and off by the pilot, so it's not truly an "autopilot" either. :)

#27     Dec 26, 2012
  8. Bingo.
    I read that most HFT firm algos are coded without safety features to make them faster.
    Faster = greedy, sloppy, careless = Flash Crash.

As for the original question, "Is it possible to make money automated trading?"
    Yes and No.
    Yes, for a deep pocket firm.
    No, for anyone else.

To break down "anyone else":
    A) Computer geeks - No, they lack the balls to go for it (it will always be a theory on paper).
    B) Those not in group "A" - No, they lack computer skills to create such systems.

#28     Dec 30, 2012
  9. Oh, and just to cover my bases, I need to plug-in another "Yes":
    Yes, for those who are not like "anyone else".
    :D

#29     Dec 30, 2012
  10. cvds16

cvds16

rofl

#30     Dec 31, 2012