Is it possible to make consistent profits from trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sab1234, Oct 28, 2017.

1. expiated

expiated

Do you discard demo accounts, as do many?

I have been trading stocks online since 2007 and Forex since 2011, though my Forex trading has been limited to demo accounts from about 2014 until last week.

In November of 2015 I finally settled on a profitable Forex trading system which I continued to refine and subsequently proved to myself publicly via a different trading forum during the summer of 2016. I’ve made no major changes since then, but even last week, I found a few ways to make the system significantly better. For instance, the following is an example of a position I am planning to take when the market opens on Sunday/Monday and the reason why…

GBPJPYH1.png

As you can see, GBPJPY is deeply depressed in the midst of what appears to be a decidedly bullish sentiment, so as soon as I get the go ahead signal, I am planning to go long.

The only technical indicators I use are moving averages and moving average envelopes. I do have one optional lower panel oscillator I use, but I wrote the code for it myself, so it is not publicly available.

I no longer have any interest whatsoever in all the other options (i.e., harmonic patterns, candlestick patterns, Elliott waves, Fibonacci ratios, pivot points, MACD, RSI, parabolic SAR, CCI, stochastic oscillators, etc.) For me personally, they all evidence serious shortcomings. By the way, the lines I drew on the above chart are simply for public consumption. I never do anything like that during actual trading.

I just so happened to have run across a blog I found interesting yesterday at privateforexcoaching.com/blog/

Other than that, I used to read or watch blogs or vlogs by these guys in the past:

sp500chart (Example: youtube.com/results?search_query=sp500chart)
    youtube.com/user/theuptrend
    youtube.com/user/themarketguys
    youtube.com/user/TradeWithPrecision
    youtube.com/user/JarrattDavisForex

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    #31     Oct 28, 2017
  2. Canoe007

Canoe007

And where you're willing to effectively invite someone to be trying for the same liquidity as you:
    if you do hand it to them on a silver platter, you know from experience that they won't get it. They won't even get the parts, let alone how they go together or what they have to do to work it and manage it. So when they try "it" - only it's really their incorrect and incomplete understanding of "it" - and fail, then it's obviously your fault, or maybe you even lied to them.

Why give someone something on a silver platter, knowing that they're going to go screw it up and lose money, and possibly a lot of money, or at least all the money they can lose, and too often more money than they can afford to lose. House, home, family , etc..

You don't want any liability or moral liability for what you know they're going to screw up.

Every time I'm out in public and hear some idiot jumping up and down about how you can't 'whatever', I keep my mouth shut because it is effectively impossible for the average person to learn how to or to successfully execute doing so if they know how to, so what they're saying is effectively true for the majority of people they're bombarding. So stating or proving otherwise is just going to get people who can't do that throwing their money away trying. I just look around and see who else is looking around... a slight smile and nod exchanged.

#32     Oct 28, 2017
    Simples, Truth_, d08 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Truth_

Truth_

I am a long term profitable trader in equities and spot forex.

In my various posts I have pretty much laid out the details of my methodology. Go read my posts there are not that many, but they are rather long. But certainly smaller than even the chapter of a good book.

I have posted about a profitable live trade, in advance of the price movement. But I doubt I will do that again.

I like @Xela 's posts. They have logic and clarity. While she does not open the kimono and detail her methods, a review of her posts, and a review of her recommended reading easily allows a distillation of her methods. I read no blogs, and in fact will probably spend less time on this forum, it becomes a vexatious distraction.

Now the bad news.

Even if you read all my posts in detail. Which I doubt you will (should I offer an over/under?).

And if gave you all my data (that is not going to happen).

And even if I sat next to you for hours to explain it (that really is not going to happen, I would probably stab you in the eyes at some point out of frustration, my bad)

You still would not be able to trade exactly like me.

You have not had the education and life experiences that I have had.
    You have not laid in a bed for a year unable to walk due to a spinal fractures (T4 & T5).
    You have not had to be helpless and rely on others when everything prior in your life was independence and taking the lead.
    You have not felt the incredible joy when you could eventually walk again.
    You have not had the mentally crushing reality when it happened a second time (L1,L2,L3).
    You have not had the gut churning fear that you believed your life was over.
    You have not viewed being able to walk, yet again, as a miracle that leaves you in awe and wonder as to why you are here.
    You do not deal with the ongoing mental and physical pain.

All of that gets to the point of exiting a trade, whether in profit, or at a loss, we will view that instant so differently.

Read, learn, think, it will take a long time, you have to find your own path.

#33     Oct 28, 2017
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

Someone should start a thread on "words you haven't heard before". :D

vexatious
    [vek-sey-shuh s]

adjective
    causing vexation; troublesome; annoying:
    a vexatious situation.
    Law. (of legal actions) instituted without sufficient grounds and serving only to cause annoyance to the defendant.
    disorderly; confused; troubled.

#34     Oct 28, 2017
  5. ironchef

ironchef

:thumbsup:, If you started trading after 2009, yes it was very easy to make consistent profit if you generally took a long position in your trade.

#35     Oct 28, 2017
  6. ironchef

ironchef

K.I.S.S but the devil is in the details.:finger:

#36     Oct 28, 2017
  7. 777

If you leave, perhaps you will drop in once in a blue moon.

Thank you for you excellent sharing, illustrative pictures and song video clip.

#37     Oct 28, 2017
  8. I don't mind showing a fisherman where to cast his line, but I'm not going to bait his hook for him.

:)

#38     Oct 28, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. tortoise

tortoise

check out daytradingbias.com

#39     Oct 28, 2017
  10. There are many reasons why trading is hard in the beginning.. First, you have to unlearn a lot of beliefs that you learned from society.. We are taught that winning is good and losing is bad in our society... But in trading, losing is part of the game and most traders can't handle it and do revenge trading because of it.. I day trade for a living.. Everyday when I open up my chart and start trading, I say to myself, I'm ok with losing 5 trades in the row.. Why? Because I know losing is part of the game.. Do I lose 5 trades in the row.? It's very rare, but when I do it's probably because I'm doing something that I'm not supposed to be doing..

Trading is probably the hardest thing I ever did in my life.. It took me 8-10 years to figure things out.. But I tell you this.. It's worth it!! You can make more than doctors and lawyers.. Working from home, 4-6 hours a day and have the rest of the day for yourself.. I'm a price action trader, but it doesn't matter what strategy you use. One of the most important thing to learn is what I call profit management (winners are bigger than your losers)..

#40     Oct 28, 2017
    TreeFrogTrader, Xela and Gotcha like this.