Is it possible to know when ES Futs could make a big move based on General info

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by traderwald, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Overnight

Overnight

The point of my reply is that you can get machine-readable news, feed it into an algo, and have it make trades for you based on the incoming messages, like Mr. Gumby stated. You have to pay for that data feed, but it is there.

#31     Aug 1, 2019
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Do you know anyone doing such and are successful (names don't need to be mention) ?

I wonder if the market reaction like today will encourage algorithm traders to move into this type of social media algorithms

wrbtrader

#32     Aug 1, 2019
  3. Overnight

Overnight

No, I know nobody in the trading world in person. As for "this type of social media"? As evidenced today, the MRN algos have simply added the Trump Twitter account into their input stream. The moment that 3rd of 4 tweets hit, markets dove. Nothing else can explain the rapid response.

#33     Aug 1, 2019
    wrbtrader likes this.
  4. Handle123

Handle123

There are likely hoods where patterns show are ripe to reverse but they are 50/50, but even being 50/50, one can make sensible targets, but you be studying years to figure them out, plus you have to learn how to hedge for the other 50% you losing.

#34     Aug 3, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

The upshot of all of this is that I now must go back to the original method I learned, which was fixed R:R ratios. GAWD I hate them. But post-2017, so long as Trump is in office, and algos exist, I have no choice.

This is the second time I got bit by a Trump tweet about trade during a swing. There cannot be a third time. I do not like him.

#35     Aug 3, 2019
  6. %% One hint;
    when cash SPY or QQQ never fills your tight limit order, today. TO quote PT Jones'' BUY @ market''[Edit. I'm no PTJ ;but great uptrend quote anyway]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    #36     Aug 8, 2019
    traderwald likes this.