Is it possible to have DUAL CABLE or DUAL DSL lines to a home?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vista, Apr 5, 2009.

1. get 1 cable inet and 1 dsl inet and a dual wanport router and you are good to go...

#11     Apr 5, 2009
  2. Yah if one line fails the broker front end goes pink for a few seconds and then picks up the other line and all is sweet.

If you want redundancy don't get two of the same lines.

#12     Apr 5, 2009
  3. Vista

Vista

Well, 99% of the time I could probably get away with that setup. But it's the 1% that I'm preparing for. I don't think it's good business for me to put my account at risk due to his bandwidth useage. I don't mind paying the extra for a third line.

#13     Apr 5, 2009
  4. Screw DSL....it sucks.

My question is.....can I have both FIOS and CABLE at the same time? My understanding is that I can't use them simultaneously, but if one goes down, the other is immediately put into action. anyone using dual connection this way?

#14     Apr 5, 2009
  5. jesus!! you're making this too complex!

kick his ass or unplug his computer if it's jeopardizing your trading. who wears the pants in the family?

#15     Apr 6, 2009
  6. Eight

Eight

Dual Wan routers are not hard to set up for failover operation if anybody is worried about that. Typically you just specify which WAN is primary and secondary. Hotbrick is ok so far, been running them for two or so years, one blew up in a storm that affected the telephone line... a spike got through the modem without hurting it but took out the Hotbrick..

I like the idea of having a laptop with a cell internet connection for the ultimate backup when the shtf for real.

#16     Apr 6, 2009
  7. Of course you can. the cable and phone company will not refuse your money.

#17     Apr 6, 2009
  8. ggg

ggg

You can certainly get multiple DSL lines.. it's often done to get over the bandwidth limitations of the individual lines. As to cable modems - apparently you can get multiple of those too. Maybe he had multiple addresses he was using though.

I mix them to maximize the odds I've got a working connection. I've got 1 cable & 1 dsl with load balancing and failover with a SysWan router (highly recommended). Redundancy is better than if I were using 2 of the same - if for no other reason than the 2 lines go via separate physical paths out of the building. A side benefit is the load balancing makes things like downloads or youtube mostly non-issues.

In case you want to do redundancy too.. remember to look at everything. I've got redundant networks to my (redundant) computers - including one that bypasses the syswan in case it fails. Plus, my laptop is setup to use my mobile phone for internet access. Throw in a small UPS with major surge suppression for the cable & phone lines and I feel semi-safe for cheap. The last resort is to call my clearing firm on the landline, and have them place covering orders with floor brokers. I haven't had to do that for years, and I hope I never have to again.

The whole setup cost <$1k initially + <$100/mo. For a residence in Chicago (at least), it can be done for half that. All of the hardware together - including two WiFi WAPs (on 2.4ghz and 5ghz) takes less space than an old desktop computer. Also the low power means no fans (so no moving parts to break, and no noise), and hours of run-time on a small UPS.

It's insanely cheaper than what my old IT dept would've paid to do it, and it's not very hard to put together (networking is my weak suit in this business, fortunately colos have made that less of an issue). I don't know why more don't do it this way.

Oh, and one last thing - some people seem confused about standard DSL: Unless you've got an agreement otherwise, they're oversubscribed, just like cable. Yes - you'll get the full bandwidth to the other side of the DSL line, but that doesn't mean there's enough bandwidth for everyone to go full bore from there. Getting guaranteed bandwidth on DSL drives the cost up to where you should also look into T1s, fixed wireless, metro wans, etc.

#18     Apr 6, 2009
  9. cstfx

cstfx

That is a rather ignorant statement.

#19     Apr 6, 2009