Is it possible to become rich by trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by johnmmf, Jan 31, 2018.

1. You would have much better odds investing, between slippage, bid/ask spread, commission, human error, daytrading especially, is a negative expectancy endeavor unless you have a very solid edge; the kind that is invaluable, not taught, not sold.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    #41     Jan 31, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Are you in the same city as me? Dallas area, rt?
    Aren't you seeing the rent rates go through the roof? There's a reason why there is lots of construction going on here.

But, I'm realizing that I'm the bigger idiot. Come to a trading forum to talk about the magic of real estate, :)

#42     Jan 31, 2018
  3. %%
    OK; ive only invested in RE for 20 + years but i never knew RE was magic. So OK dont think you are an idiot.,but that was a joke about 300 acres in downtown dallas!!Godspeed:D:caution::caution:

#43     Jan 31, 2018
  4. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

Capital preservation.

#44     Jan 31, 2018
  5. Thank you!

#45     Jan 31, 2018
  6. I do every sort of RE deal except for get a single-family residential and get tenant for a 1 yr lease. This is akin to buying 1000 shares of IBM and getting rich from the 3 to 4% yield.

There are much more interesting RE deals through Apartment investing using OPM (syndication), land deals and parcelize it. If you know the Dallas market, not all parts of Dallas has had appreciation. There is several mispricings for both land and properties in certain pockets of our city. Same as there are mispricings with stock when there is panic selling. With stock, I have to buy whatever the market gives it to me at. With RE, I can negotiate and certain cases do more creative deals.

Anyways, we should connect up. Do you attend any of the local Option Traders meetups?

#46     Jan 31, 2018
  7. Gueco

Gueco

where are you, the real traders???

#47     Jan 31, 2018
  8. speedo

speedo

:D

#48     Jan 31, 2018
  9. What's the definition of a real trader?
    - Number of trades per month?
    - Account Size?
    - Account Growth?
    - A threshold for the Ratios - Sharpe / Calmar / Sortino?
    - Comissions Spent?
    - Number of Underlyings?
    - Types of Underlying?
    Option / Futures / Equities / Forex / Crypto (Ugh)
    - Number of Strategies?
    - Chartist? Fundamentalist?

Just because I'm passionate about Real Estate, doesn't make me any less of a trader. Real Estate made me a better trader and trading made me a better RE guy!

#49     Jan 31, 2018
  10. You see that building? I bought that building ten years ago. My first real estate deal. Sold it 2 years later, made an 800,000 dollar profit. It was better than sex. At the time, I thought that was all the money in the world; now it's a day's pay.
    -- Gordon Gekko (Wall Street, 1997)

You see even Gordon Gekko was a RE trader before he was in securities.
    A good trader needs to know how to trade anything! Real-Estate, Stocks, Commodities, Options, Warrants, Bonds, Fixed-Income, Currencies, Cars, Equipment, Planes, whatever. And when he can't trade and stuck with the asset, he needs to know how to generate income and sell premium for it!

#50     Feb 1, 2018