Is it possible to be both a scalper and an intraday position trader?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kovacs, Oct 29, 2008.

1. achilles28

achilles28

I think thats good advice.

Scalping a less than 1-to-1 RR, with entry/exit windows at 2-3 seconds, thats hard.

Requires split second analysis, decision and action.

Easy to do on paper, not so in practise.

But hats off to those traders that can scalp day-in day-out and turn a good profit.

Probably the most difficult type of speculating there is.

#21     Oct 29, 2008
  2. Thanks to Kovacs for having the wisdom to start this thread.

I found this post very interesting as I will often do both.

Sometimes it ends up to be profitable and sometimes not.
    Overall I am happy with using a blended type of trading in many cases.

Whats really interesting to me anyway is how some responses are polar opposites to others and yet both are right. It shows how personality is such a big factor in what will make or break a trading strategy.

I think being in a trade for more than a week is very risky while others can feel like they are spinning their wheels if they are in trades for less than a week and churning that much.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I do both is that I scale in and out of my positions (which can lead to a whole other conversation) and that may lend itself more than going all in at once.

Anyway, really good thoughts provided and something for just about anyone to think about.

#22     Oct 29, 2008
  3. fxtrade

fxtrade

if you're "superman", you can be a batman too .. me think .. lol

#23     Oct 29, 2008
  4. ammo

ammo

if your trading the ES,you can have a long or short,longer time frame position in the spy options. For the last few weeks its hard to have a bias,you were better off just riding the moves,but when the volatility returns to normal,it's easier to position and scalp at he same time. For longer rides on your scalps,watch usd/jpy and djtrans for support and res,and if they correlate with spu s/r at same time ,you can confidently ride the breakot or reversal for a few more points,and if you are trading a few lots at a time ,you can take some off for profit and leave the remainder for your target price with a trailing stop at little risk.

#24     Oct 30, 2008
  5. A prop shop I use to trade with 5 yrs ago taught us a scalping strategy where we could not be 2-3 seconds late in the trade or it would not work. Our timing had to be pin-point on the second, not before, not after. The place was a total churn and burn shop but it taught me the discipline to think automated and not have any second guesses in trades or get emotional. I think this is what now pushes me ahead of the pack. I still scalp but more momentum based now. Don't second guess yourself just trade!

#25     Oct 30, 2008
  6. long term trade is a scalp gone wrong!

#26     Oct 30, 2008
  7. Twenty-nine posts, all today, all this same bit of spamming shit. Oops, my mistake - we're up to 41 spammings now.

#27     Dec 29, 2008