Is it legal for IB to do this? Considering pressing a charge...

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Bakinec, Jun 5, 2009.

1. timbo

timbo

Somehow full service brokers can by-pass this.

#21     Jun 5, 2009
  2. You’ll have to lose a few more $2000 accounts until you have any clue what you’re doing. Just speaking from experience. But I can tell you that the odds are way against you the way that you’re trading. First off, I wouldn’t be trading 10 contracts until you are profitable with one. I understand that they charge a ticket fee and it is cheaper to trade more per trade, that’s why I’d recommend TOS per contract rate. Second, the transaction costs will eat you alive. Let’s take an spy at the money trade. Lets say that it is $2 and has a 2 cent spread. Since options trade almost no volume, you usually cannot buy on the bid or sell the ask. You have to wait until the market maker fills you. Plus let’s say $1 commission per contract each side. So you are down $2 with the spread and $2 and commission. If the delta is 50, that means spy has to move 8 cents just to break even. That’s fine if it’s a long term trade, but daytrading, it’s nearly impossible to. How are you getting around the daytrading rules anyways?

#22     Jun 6, 2009
  3. He’s saying that a covered call and a naked put are basically the same thing, but the brokers don’t realize this. They tell you to write covered calls because the commissions and margin requirements are more.

#23     Jun 6, 2009
  4. Look I know what it’s like to be young and think everything should be fair, but the lawyers aren’t going to care. Even if it were illegal, what are they going to do? There isn’t any money in this. Your best bet is to try to talk to someone else at Ib or find another broker.

#24     Jun 6, 2009
  5. Yes I did that. When I went to a TOS or Option Planet seminar, the guy there said to do it. You can try just calling them and say you are interested in opening an account and want better rates like you saw they do on their website. I’m just saying it might be easier to open the account and make 20 trades in a week and then call them. If you do call them before, just don’t give your name, in case they write it down or something and then remember you if they say no and you call them again if you open an account at the higher rate and then want it lowered. Maybe that’s me just being paranoid though. I heard they will also lower the futures rates, but they really want a lot of volume. I have done not that though.

I have never traded with IB, but I have usually only had great experiences with TOS.

#25     Jun 6, 2009
  6. Kid, on private land the owner can kick you out at all time. When you go into a bar, restaurant or wathever, the owner is the boss of the place. They let you in, it's their call.
    Same with brokers, what they let you do, who they accept is their choice.
    I'm so sick of this sue everything mentality. f ricains.

#26     Jun 6, 2009
  7. gkishot

gkishot

And I thought only police can kick you out.

#27     Jun 6, 2009
  8. cvds16

cvds16

considering pressing charges ? :eek: :eek: :eek:
    man, get over yourself ! ! !

#28     Jun 6, 2009
  9. Bakinec

Bakinec

That's what I thought too until I called Ameritrade for the second time. FIrst rep told me the restrictions apply. Second time another rep told me that I'm not getting around day trading rules. I have a cash account and the rep at Ameritrade told me it's legal to day trade on a cash account; the day trading restrictions apply only to margin accounts.

Regarding day trading options, my idea is not scalping the bid-ask spread on options. I would just kill my account on the first day doing that. I guess sitting there at WTS all day and staring at the SPY going up and down has at least had some benefit. My idea of day trading options is buying when the underlying gets oversold, and selling when overbought.

This is the only site I've found that gives you 5-minute charts on options, check out it out: http://www.optionetics.com/

Most prolly already know the website..... just put in a symbol, then pull up options chain, pick a contract and go to interactive chart.

Thanks for the advice, Sandy. I'll definitely try that.

#29     Jun 6, 2009
  10. Bakinec

Bakinec

I don't know what to say, will see.

Sue everything mentality doesn't apply to me. I'm also sick when I see people suing for trivial things and getting millions out of it.

There's nothing trivial about being legally adult and being refused business because of random age limit policies. If in their opinion I'm old enough to trade stocks, then I'm old enough to trade options too. Nuff said.

And if I do sue, it's not like I'm going to get money anyway. Simply letting me do business with them will suffice by changing their policy or making an exception.

#30     Jun 6, 2009