Is it legal for IB to do this? Considering pressing a charge...

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Bakinec, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Bakinec

Bakinec

Thanks badger, but to be honest I don't have a freaking clue what you were ranting about there. Are you a broker rep or something? What the hell does my age have to do with the commissions they can earn?

I know more about options and all the different strategies than most of the "professionals" sitting there taking calls from customers, and that's not empty talk, I've come across that several times when calling Ameritrade.

All I ask for is for them to stop thinking like my money ain't good for them just cause I'm not 21 yet.

But yeah, I'll consider the TOS strategy.

#11     Jun 5, 2009
  2. Bakinec

Bakinec

This is not about commissions. If I didn't like the commissions they charged, then I wouldn't be right in contesting their policy.

Age discrimination is a whole other fruit.

I already shot a few e-mails to lawyers, will see what they say or if they even respond.

#12     Jun 5, 2009
  3. jnbadger

jnbadger

No Gubinec, I am not a rep. I actually trade for a living. (believe it if you wish)

Actually, I thought I was clear that I despise reps. That was my point.

You just touched a nerve when I read what it takes to get an account open when the customer usually knows more than both the broker, and the options principle combined.

Sorry for being unclear.

But yes, TOS is much more lenient when approvals are concerned, but I believe their coms are a bit higher than IB.

#13     Jun 5, 2009
  4. Bakinec

Bakinec

LOL. Sorry about that. I wasn't sure if you were the "customer" or the "rep" when you mentioned telling them to call you back.

Yah, TOS charges more than IB and about the same as Ameritrade.

To the person who mentioned doing the "better rates" strategy with TOS, are you sure it's gonna work out? Where can I read up on that or you speak from experience and they'll lower their fees to 1.50 if I just mention that other firms have lower fees? THanks.

#14     Jun 5, 2009
  5. jnbadger

jnbadger

Fair enough.

This usually happens over the phone when someone talks about being an "options broker" or "options principle", when I'm asking general options questions.

It always gets to the point where I have to challenge them a tad. Just can't help it.

You seem to be way ahead of most, and it IS important to learn, even if you know you're going to lose money.

Been there, done that.

Best of trading to you.

Jeff

#15     Jun 5, 2009
  6. Bakinec

Bakinec

Thanks, Jeff. Same to you.

I appreciate your input.
    Shawn

#16     Jun 5, 2009
  7. Bakinec

Bakinec

Just got a reply from one lawyer saying it's legal for them to do so.

I just don't see how.

#17     Jun 5, 2009
  8. timbo

timbo

It used to okay to drink and drive. But not so now.

Gay used to be happy, but now so ghey.

#18     Jun 5, 2009
  9. hmmm.

#19     Jun 5, 2009
  10. ajacobson

ajacobson

The simple answer is the minimum age of legal majority in all fifty of the states and IB a brokers ability to bring a legal action against you. Some states are 18 a few are 19 and a handful are still 21. The brokers concern is simply if you move to a state where 21 is legal age they couldn"t bring a legal action against you. You'll find it's ofter common that when a persons moves to a state where they are a minor the broker has to close their account. So many just set the bar at 21 to be conservative.

#20     Jun 5, 2009