Is it just me or the internet has become slower ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kicking, Feb 1, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Almost always, 100% CPU is caused by some program.

Have you tried getting another hard drive and doing a fresh OS install? Then check out the performance after each program is installed. That way you'll hopefully be able to identify the culprit... and get a fresh install in the bargain.

I think the net is getting slower, but usually only during high traffic times. AT off peak hours, seems normal.

#22     Nov 23, 2008
  2. Illum

Illum

Overtime your computer's registry will become fooked. Installing - uninstalling programs leaves its mark. Defragin wont help as much as you think. After years your computer can come to a halt. There are registry cleaning programs you can buy.

#23     Nov 23, 2008
  3. Soon, after a few more "network tweaks", you will believe net-neutrality is a good thing,
    and Obama is indeed the deliverer of all things good.

Osorico :eek:

#24     Nov 23, 2008
  4. Thanks for your help. I am really allergic to new softwares so I don't use anything to "clean" the machine, beside running Spybot once in a while. I don't update stuff, not even antivirus programs.
    Too afraid of problems and newer versions that will run slower . My new laptop I only go to reputed websites with it and it doesn't have outlook configured on it so I believe risks are limited.

I haven't removed the Acer stuff because some of it perhaps I would like to keep and I am not sure how to do this safely . So far it hasn't been a priority to do it.

The Win2K machine I haven't done a lot of install and reinstalls, it got slower and slower starting in 07 with TWS , and java apps such as FXCM charts. CNBC+ was the last straw .

I run IE 6 on both. I tried Firefox back in 04, didn't see a big improvement over IE. I liked IE better, everything is already loaded on it (Flash, players etc.). But I will look into the new Firefox with the Flash block that may help.

#25     Nov 24, 2008
  5. taodr

taodr

Wow I can't believe it. Your machines are probably so loaded with crap , no wonder they are slow. Everytime you do anything traces are left and it gets clogged up. IMO Spybot is a has been. Waste of time. The best is to download A-squared free and run it . You will be surprized what you find. First thou download Revo Uninstaller and get rid of Spybot or any other program you don't want. It gets rid of all traces properly. Also download Super antispyware free edition. Both should be run once a week. Use Glary Utilities for quick every day maintenance ( 2min ) and defrag with Jkdefrag once a week. As has been suggested use firefox with stealther when surfing and take off stealther when you need cookies. Even old machines can fly when one uses right tools and approach. Microshit loves to load junk onto machines.

#26     Nov 24, 2008
  6. Just found a blazing fast browser "Off by One"

http://www.OffByOne.com

This is now my main browser during trading hours, when speed is of the essence and I don't have time for wasteful flash ads or processor hungry scripts.

This is the internet speed I remember from a few years ago. Someone should hang most web page designers and specially those designing the ads. The web looks cheap and tacky, like stinking Times Square.

Anyways, OB1 is not "pretty" but it's fast. Useful for quick browsing of the "essentials" during the day: ET, other boards, blogs, finance sites, etc.

There's only one or two trading sites that don't display adequately, but that's OK with me. I haven't tried any trading with it though.

BTW there's a trick to increase the number of hotlist entries if that bothers you.

Google Chrome is prettier, buy not as fast and small as this one. You could take OB1 with you on a USB drive if you have to use it on someone else's computer and/or don't want to leave traces of your browsing there.

Did I forget to mention it's free?

EDIT another plus is that OB1 doesn't need installation and should work on any Windows OS, Google Chrome works only on XP and Vista (ugh).

#27     Jan 27, 2009
  7. You can do the same thing with Mozilla's FireFox 3.0 and simply turn off the "flash" stuff.

Works great!
    :cool:

#28     Jan 28, 2009
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

The turth is, the internet has became slower. Too many trucks clogging up the pipes...

#29     Jan 28, 2009
  9. Yeah, two years ago people were downloading 700 MB DivX movies. Now everyone wants bluray quality, that's 8000 MB and more. Network upgrades don't keep pace.

#30     Jan 28, 2009