Is it just me, or is Trader Workstation a terrible app for options trading

Discussion in 'Options' started by nooby_mcnoob, Jan 14, 2019.

1. It appears that all the options trading tools are there, in raw form, but nothing ties them together.

For example, let's say you want to make a trade based on market implied probabilities. Great, so you look up the probability lab. But can you make a single entry on that screen? Nope.

tommcginnis likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

It's you.

But keep in mind what you wrote: is TWS a *trading* app?
    And the answer is Yes. (Or, "Yes" with an asterisk.)

*TWS, as delivered, is a glorified spreadsheet. But its configuration ability goes way beyond what (it seems) 90% of TWS retail users do. Interactive Brokers puts out TWS as a Subaru Integra, with the expectation that those who desire a turbo-charged WRX STi will go about doing so, on their own. They have spent the last 10+ years slapping these trading assistance tools together, without regard to how they actually work with most traders' operations. *Some* of them are nice; a *lot* of them should be re-classed as "strickly-Beta" and carry warning banners across their borders. (IMHO.)

So -- keep in mind that TWS is meant to *trade* -- "One Button, please! -- configurable baskets of contracts on a page -- different countries, different currencies, different expiries: push a button and GO!" ..... Anything more than that is window dressing: BYOB.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. That's what I was leaning towards: it's very configurable, and I'm not yet scratching the surface. Good to know, thanks.

tommcginnis likes this.
  4. Corto

Corto

I would not mix Subaru and Integra.

gaussian and Overnight like this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Reminds me of a political radio show I was listening to 10 years ago, and a caller into the show was mouthing off about the beauty of hybrid vehicles and kept saying, "I love my 2008 Honda Prius, God Bless America."

Was hysterical.

6. gaussian

gaussian

I really dislike TWS. It's cluttered, slow, and ugly. It seems to be put together by people who don't actually trade.

JunLiu and heispark like this.
  7. heispark

heispark

For Options trading, Thinkorswim is the best.

El OchoCinco likes this.
  8. qlai

qlai

I was asking my TDAmeritrade rep to remove/reduce ticket charge but he said he can't. Do you guys pay them or you can negotiate with them once you do enough volume? I hate begging for something that IB gives me by default.

9. I pay $1.25/contract, no ticket. you're probably not trading enough. i've been able to negotiate my rate down by volume

qlai likes this.