Is it Important to surround yourself with alot of energy and successful traders?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by jptrader62, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Is it better to live in Iowa on a 500 acres lot surrounded by nothing, or in a 500 square feet appartment in New York? The answer is, you place is where you feel comfortable.

#11     Apr 10, 2007
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

exactly...specially when you're in the middle of fart boy and chewing tabbacco man....

#12     Apr 10, 2007
  3. You have a natural flair nl5.

Is this an example of nonlinear thinking?

#13     Apr 10, 2007
  4. gaj

gaj

sorry, but like a lot of other things, "it depends".

i work from home, have no interaction with other traders on an intraday basis. i help a couple aspiring people via email periodically, and know several non-equity traders in nyc who i'm friends with. so i could talk with them if i had to, but only for general trading stuff.

i do have people interaction (wife / kids), and periodically call people from home at their jobs (a variety of people / industries) to stay in touch with people.

#14     Apr 10, 2007
  5. TRS

TRS

Exactly.
    Know thy enemy.
    It lies within.... as does the ally.

#15     Apr 10, 2007
  6. ==============
    If you are going after turkeys, read well,;
    remember its a a brief season/time:cool:

#16     Apr 10, 2007
  7. Overall, our traders who trade in an office make about 20% or so more money than our remote traders.

To help make up for that, we now have online mentoring groups to help with that feeling of isoation...and this seems to be helping considerably.

I guess it's the "who" you're surrounded by, not just being surrounded, that matters quite a bit.

Don

#17     Apr 10, 2007
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Don, you and I have discussed this at length and I'm happy to see you coming around to my point of view. :)

#18     Apr 10, 2007
  9. I left the "be surrounded by greatness" and "foster the spirit of competition" crap behind when I left the grind of the corporate world.

To each his own. Personally I have never really felt the need to share my trading ideas or positions with anyone. The market is the only mentor I need, being open to its teachings is the key.

I'd rather just meet some "colleagues" down at the watering hole every now and then for some fellowship and discussion.

The last thing I'd want is Tom, Dick or Harry commenting on how great their doing or how the market is going to do this or that. That's my job, to figure this stuff out and make decisions based upon my findings. The market has never been afraid to reward my hard work or punish my digressions.

#19     Apr 10, 2007
  10. And therein lies the beauty of the market............different strokes for different folks, to put it simply.

I, myself, love the independence and the freedom of being left alone, but I find it fun and absolutely insightful to learn from others.......as well as enjoyable on a personal level to discuss these topics.

Hence, forums such as these.......people "crave" other's conversation, comradery, etc.

It may be at different "doses" for each of us, but it is, nonetheless, the same at it's core.

#20     Apr 11, 2007