Is it hard for traders to get loans/credit?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dv4632, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Even a full time job at home depot or MCD is better than being self employed when it comes to getting a loan.....

#51     Nov 29, 2012
  2. thanks garachen for the informative reply

#52     Nov 29, 2012
  3. But how? They are going to verify it.

#53     Nov 30, 2012
  4. How does it work out with the monthly deposits because they'll only show they are from Brokerage Account A to Bank Account B and not from a place of employment, i.e. a proper firm? Does it matter if you immediately pull the same amount from Bank Account B back to Brokerage Account A for trading?

What should you put as occupation on the tax return? Does IRS care as long as you pay your taxes? What if the tax return shows a down year?

#54     Nov 30, 2012
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

Perhaps before you resort to a minimum wage job here is an alternative,
    join a prop firm essentially on your taxes and elsewhere they will be your employer i.e. you will be a proprietary equities trader at firm X, they will issue you a K1 ( registered prop firms, non registereds issue 1099 which won't work in this case) and verify your employment, all you have to do is pass S7 or S56.

#55     Nov 30, 2012
  6. yeah, except I'm not so sure I want to lose money just to get a loan

#56     Nov 30, 2012
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

How are you losing money? if you mean the monthly dues, a successful trader always needs tax write offs...

#57     Nov 30, 2012
  8. Yeah, that makes sense, but have not seen it work yet in the real world. surf

#58     Nov 30, 2012
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

Are you aware of any instance a profitable prop trader with good credit and K1 having being turned down for a loan or credit?

#59     Nov 30, 2012
  10. No, I am not aware of one being approved either. K1 is partnership income, so I imagine if the firm has good standing/credit/ assets the partner ( trader) should qualify. But again, I am unsure. surf

#60     Nov 30, 2012