Is it common with brokers that only offer paper (PDF) statements of your account/trading activities?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Laissez Faire, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Hello everyone.

Over the last few years I've been with Dorman Trading through Ninjatrader and eventually moved on to Ninjatrader Brokerage which now have their own brokerage.

Trading wise I don't have any complaints, but I find it cumbersome that if I want to track my performance/equity, the only way to do it is by manually inputting key numbers from my broker statements into Excel.

Simply put: There's no way to log on an online portal to view my equity curve, daily % change, weekly % change, etc.

I can log on to Ninjatrader (the trading software) and see my current account equity. That's it.

I've automated this process in Excel as much as possible, but at the end of the day I still have to physically download PDFs and type in data manually.

I know Dorman have been around like forever and is a solid brokerage. With NT starting a new brokerage in this day and age I figured they would offer something more modern, but still only PDFs.

Is this the industry standard in 2022?

Thanks.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. virtusa

virtusa

Ninja bought Tradovate. Why can they not take that reporting tool? That one is much more up to date.

3. %%
    SCHW has plenty of daily, yearly equity curve measures+ i signed up for their monthy paper confirmation/not the daily mailed , even though that would be fun....................................................................................................................
    Paper[pulpwood trees]are a renewable resource, many push for paperless only because its cheaper, + no postage. So sounds like your broker is cutting out something that should be basic
    SCHW also has one of many measures if you add cash or take out cash its a % gain/loss/LOL. NOT really a % gain or loss; its an addition or subtraction

Laissez Faire likes this.
  4. Aren't you talking about "bells and whistles"?

Brokers include them to various degrees in order to attract customers by the fancy "features they offer". Do you really need the broker to tell you more than your equity, margin limit, etc. Don't you think an active trader should be able to "keep account" of his status... in his head

5. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't call a simple equity curve "bell and whistles".

The advanced performance metrics (which Ninjtrader offer to a certain degree) is not what I'm talking about, although I wouldn't mind those either (I see Tradovate offers those).

Just basic account tracking online on your net P&L.

6. So... without the broker highlighting it, you really don't know where you stand as to P/L and equity?

7. virtusa

virtusa

These brokers have all the information to deliver these reports. Just create one time the report, or just an excel that can be downloaded, and help hundreds or thousands of their clients. Once the data is downloadable it will cost nothing at all for the brokers. Tells something about how they see their "clients".

Laissez Faire likes this.
  8. How did you arrive at that conclusion? Did you bother to read what I wrote at all?

I already said that I'm tracking this in Excel, but it requires me to physically download this data and manually input it. This can potentially lead to errors and it's also time consuming.

It could also be that I would want to show my performance data to a 3rd party. I have a hunch they'd be less inclined to trust something I produced myself in Excel...

9. Actually, Ninjatrader Brokerage wouldn't even create a yearly statement for my taxes, so I had to compile it myself using monthly statements. That actually pissed me off. Dorman sends yearly statements - no problem.

10. Sounds like a personal problem. A fact is a fact, regardless of who discloses it.

#10     Apr 12, 2022