Is it all smoke and Mirrors?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ertrader, May 20, 2002.

1. #41     May 20, 2002
  2. Joshua, you must be a rookie. Because the geo-political situation dictates much market movement. Uncertainy can stop a bull market from comming to jestation. The Psycology of the average citzen, the one who is spending and keeping this economy barley afoat.........

if anything happens, sucide bombers in the USA, another attack, etc....this could bring the consumer spending to a halt, the market will drop like a rock, people will move into GOLD/OIL/ DEFENSIVE plays....

I think im dealing with a lot of amatures on this site. Think people, read between the lines....if you can't than this game is not for you.

Trading is not a cut and dry science. In fact the psyc of the trader is what sets the market in motion.....mathamatical equations and Black Boxes can help narrow down possibilities to the reaction of the psyc.

The Arab situation in the middle east is playing a big part in the market right now.....wake up traders......there is going to be serious money making oportunities.......however you better be on the correct side, or your gona get smoked......what that side is depends on how you read between the lines. How you take on the events and how you decode the geo-political world.

#42     May 20, 2002
  3. Joshua

Joshua

This message is for Dll concerning the Vix. I used to try to scalp. LAtely I've been using the VIX for intermediate term trades. (By intermediate I mean 1-3 days) Tradingmarkets.com offers a wealth of knowledge on interpreting the VIX. The cite also gives VIX indicators as to overbought and oversold conditions.

#43     May 20, 2002
  4. There are more factors involved than scumbag Arab terrorist.

CLimite, look at the futures in corn, beans, cattle, etc. Looks like many are expecting a change in weather patterns, not scene in 100 years. This could effect much of the commodities, which could direct consumer stocks, which could effect tech stocks.

lol, why do you think we sold off, on the open......arabs people, buyers are not willing to pull this market up....many are stepping away.

What does ten down days, and two huge up days tell you. When NOK is trading up on light volume and on the heavy volume days its trading down big......not just nok, but others.......

if you guys wana talk market, game on, lets go, lets see what we come up with....

There are many things that i see......beyound simple pricemovement or level II bid/ask quotes.

#44     May 20, 2002
  5. Maybe currency won't be worth much, but real money (Gold bullion) has more or less kept up with inflation over the past 5,000 years.

The following two merchants are the best I've found:

http://www.tulving.com/goldbull.html

http://www.ajpm.com/htbin/gold.cgi

#45     May 20, 2002
  6. carlp

carlp

That's real interesting what you wrote about the commodities predicting an event not seen in a long time. It definitely portents something ominous. I hate to sound off any doom and gloom, but in 12 years of investing/trading I have learned to never doubt markets.

Another thing is that lately gold/silver/miners have been moving higher; almost as if the market is predicting an event. Does someone know something? Well, look at some of the gold stocks beack in 86 and early 87. They started to move up a few months before the stock crash of 87. Do we have a similar scenario now? Again, I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but this is what I observe.

Lastly, check out how the Vix moved up last September a few days before the 11th. The way that moved up tells me somebody somewhere had to know something was up. They were buying puts or hedging or doing something. Just to much of a damn coincidence for me.

All in my humble opinion...

cp

#46     May 21, 2002
  7. I keep hearing about the simplistic solution of "nuking them".
    People have forgotten that the nuclear powers gave up on above ground nuclear testing when it was discovered that radio-active contaminants were getting into the general environment in seriously bad doses. And that was with relatively small tests.
    If we nuke those miscreants every time they attack us we will end up poisoning the whole world for centuries to come.
    Nuking is a non-starter. And they know that. That's why they will keep attacking us.

PS: here's something to keep you awake at night: there are Muslims who believe if they die in jihad, they go straight to heaven. There are Hindus who believe if they die they, they get reincarnated in another life. We now have a Muslim and Hindu nuclear power about to go to war again. When Kennedy and Khuschev faced off during the Cuban missile crisis, you had a secular humanist (abeit with a Catholic backgound), and a communist atheist, who both decided the life they had was the only one they were likely to get. We may not get as lucky as we got in the Cuban missile crisis.
    :eek:

#47     May 21, 2002
  8. You're forgeting that the Hindus believe in Karma in basically the same way as the Buddhists. Muslims, of course, are a different kettle of fish...

If any of you are seriously losing sleep thinking about nukes, eloba, and little green men, then I have a suggestion ( a few actually):

1) potassium idodide pills to protect against the fallout, or just iodine dissinfectant, you'll get enough through the skin.

2) selenium tablets (osco, health food stores, etc) protect against viral replication (info about this on Medline)

3)a few kegs of good beer to forget it all ;-)

#48     May 21, 2002
  9. ertrader,

I have to say that the "nuke them all comment" was really quite childish. It really does beg the question, "How old are you ?". Did you mean to post that on the NASCAR forums? Whom do we nuke exactly? The Afghanis who have never heard of New York? Maybe the Ethiopians who hold the U.S. flag upside down because they've never seen it before. If you mean the Palestinians, that's pretty much Israel, right?(geographically).
    Like the previous poster mentioned, I don't think Europe would appreciate a giant radioactive cloud floating their way. Even if we nuked everyone you want, what do you do when you find out that the terrorists are hanging out in Bermuda or somewhere. They don't care who you blow up. They think they're going to heaven anyway.
    Think I'm a whining liberal? Guess again pal! I'm NRA all the way.
    Check my homepage(we're all about the ballistics):D I think there are a couple reasons for the recent warnings. First, to cover their(Bush admin) ass in case there is an attack. Secondly, the "war on terror" must be never-ending, like the"war on drugs". Which is, of course, total bullshit. We are going to give up all our freedom in this country for the false promise of security. My God! Did you see the Wausua commercial today? Two good little patriotic Americans happily handing over their biometric identity cards. Why don't they just brand us? I sent CNBC a fiery email.

Snake

#49     May 21, 2002
  10. Nuke who precisely?? Innocent women and children? Entire cities and countries?? For goodness sake, if we commit genocide, we are just as bad as them... and your comment on Japan was crass to say the least.... nuking Japan was nothing to be proud of... loads of innocent kids and women were incinerated in the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nukings....

Ertrader... drop the pretty stupid idea of nuking... selective conventional bombing of military installations is the better route... and follow the bombing by the installation of a democratic structure in co-operation with international allies (just like we did in Afghanistan)... then the entire world is better off....

#50     May 21, 2002