Is it a good time to buy an investment property

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ashatet, Mar 5, 2010.

1. from what I see residential real estate prices peaked in 2005. Deflation is out there on a global scale and its possible the entire global economy deflates or an inverse wage/price spiral. Basic supply and demand would curb this to a certain degree but the specter of deflation is pretty scary as most businesses are based on the assumption of future growth. Buy real estate with at least 3-5 year horizon or buy it with a smile knowing you got a good price. :)

http://www.nahb.com/generic.aspx?genericContentID=527

this guy is pretty interesting maybe a little too gloomy but he is
    one of the most knowledgeable experts on "money systems" out there.

http://www.realitysandwich.com/blog/bernard_lietaer

http://www.transaction.net/press/interviews/lietaer0497.html

#11     Mar 8, 2010
  2. Here is the median price per foot from the realtors.

#12     Mar 8, 2010
  3. Stosh

Stosh

I've owned lots of rental property of all kinds (Fort Worth, Tx.). I hated it, but it served me well financially....esp. during inflationary times. Management companies aren't that good unless you own enought units to afford the best......and when you are personally involved it is very stressful. I had many great tenants.....but a few bad ones will make you a seller. Stosh

#13     Mar 8, 2010
  4. I suggest buying tax liens. (Actually loaning state governments moneys for 12% - 24% annually) You have little risk. You can be picky on the property. There are no tenant hassles and you have high interest earnings. You are the first person on title ... even before the banks ... so possession of the property is a slim possibility. Loan term is short. Functionally you are investing in real estate and are guaranteed by position on title ... without the hassles. A friend of mine has done all the homework and shared it with me in a "whiteboard" meeting.

I liked it.

#14     Mar 8, 2010
  5. This is just not true. Sometimes its much more economical to rent. I started making big money in about 2005 but I live in a high priced area. I could have bought something and caught the last phase of the bubble but I would be sitting in a pile of shit now if I did. I was smart to wait and keep renting. My 100K in rent over the last 5 years was money well spent.

#15     Mar 8, 2010
  6. Condos/townhomes are still way overpriced. Wait 2 more years, you should get them for 30% cheaper.

#16     Mar 8, 2010
  7. JPope

JPope

They may fall more, they may not. There are good people who rent property, even some that are on gov't assistance. If you are an active manager, flexible and realize it will be a PT job, these are great times to be shopping for cash flowing rental property in my opinion, especially if you are willing to commit to 3-5 years. Here in MN, occupied units cash flow well enough in some situations to the degree where acceptable returns are not even reliant on any price appreciation.

#17     Mar 8, 2010
  8. ==================
    Good points, especially point #2;
    NasdaQQQ

Frankly, like to buy & sell[occasionally, mostly thru a REALTOR, done FSBO also ........]]real estate, past 25+/years;
    my records shows RE = IS/has been more profitable & trends better than ANY stocks/options/derivatives.........................................

However a conservative real estate[local bank -more or less ] loan couild be considered ;
    a derivative ............................................................................

Only liars cactch the bottom or tops all the time;
    even though quite a few internet posters ''claim'' to catch the bottom & THE TOP...........:D Only liars do it all the time!!

Perhaps a buyers market in many areas[TN too];
    but there are still plenty of good reasons to name it a'' buyers market'' I watch west TN market. look @ comparative sales on seven[7] states touching Tennessee............................................

Solomon said ''in all labor there is profit''.
    Probably a good RE price, good research & a good closing attorney is more important than any ''catch the bottom/top fantasy''

Plenty of money has been made[and lost, lots lost ], here is why, in condos;
    [usually avoid them,myself] they roller coaster more^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That means its easier to lose money[than a tighter TREND]........................................
    I would accept a free condo as a gift, if my closing attorney agrees,LOL:cool: :cool:

#18     Mar 8, 2010
  9. Sounds like free guaranteed money, it's a shocker that this investment concept has been around for decades and still is an ATM machine.

#19     Mar 8, 2010

10. You have to be very careful with condo projects, if there are ten units, with five tenants and five are belly up someone is going to get screwed big time. This happens in a lot of vacation areas ie Hawaii where the whole project goes belly up, very ugly. This is becoming more common in the big cities as the Big Squeeze continues.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/07/1516872/blanket-receivership-another-way.html

#20     Mar 8, 2010