Is intraday timing of tops and bottoms method known by anyone?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Walther, Nov 10, 2002.

1. It's true that fixed times will not always work, I would rather talk about some time zones, but these three times I mentioned seem to be frequently close to the centers of such zones.

Anyway, I use them to look at intraday charts. Charts do have some symmetries, and if only because of that, there have to be some special time moments for symmetries like that to exist.

#31     Nov 15, 2002
  2. today, a short entry (the (15(3), 5) stochastics oversold in 1 min and 3 min charts) around 11:30 would give you an easy 3 pts in ES in a very tight range of 3-4 pts. Just a simple example. The best time would be 11:42 (use a 1 min chart to pinpoint that), but that is pretty close to 11:30.

#32     Nov 15, 2002
  3. Correction: the stochastics were overbought, of course.

#33     Nov 15, 2002
  4. These are basically the same conclusions I made while ago. However I could not bring myself to just place trades in these time zones ( they do not happen every day and accuracy is less then 30% ). That is why I started to develop more precise method which would pinpoint trades with greater accuracy. As you have mentioned 11:42 trade, my signal was 11:38.
    Walter

#34     Nov 15, 2002
  5. well, it's not going to be simple. Lets say the market reverses every day at 10:10. How long do you think that's going to last? Pretty soon it will be 10:09, then 10:08, and before you know it they will be fading the open.

Now, if you could find out the cause, and correlate that with the time, you'd have something. For instance, how long after a crossover does something occur? How long after a significant low? How long after a volume spike? How long after etc?

Some charts have fibobnacci vertical time frames. Even I can't figure out a way to trade off them. Supposedly their is a rhythm to the market. But people that are always trying to make money mess up the rhythm.

#35     Nov 17, 2002
  6. nitro

nitro

Did you see quah's system?

nitro

#36     Nov 17, 2002
  7. That's not the way it works, the patterns do NOT repeat themselves that regularly, you are trivializing the thing.

The point here is that they repeat themselves, but there is more than one pattern and so you don't know in advance which one is going to occur, what kind of symmetry you will get, and moreover you are more likely to see this later during the day and not so early.

#37     Nov 17, 2002
  8. In my opinion the reasoning that patterns are repeating over and over again is flawed. Patterns might look simillar but they are not identical. Patterns are developing along current market conditions and any attempts to put fixed numbers( Fib. Gann and such ) to predict or indicate higher probability will not be succesfull in more than 60% (probability is only slightly better then coin toss ).

#38     Nov 17, 2002
  9. dottom

dottom

The thing with patterns is not whether they repeat or they exist or what have you... the issue is how tradeable the pattern is. At what point on the hard right edge can you identify the pattern? If you wait longer to identify the pattern, does that increase the % probability of the pattern forming, but thereby reducing the reward and increasing the risk? If you enter a trade earlier in the pattern development, you have greater reward potential at less risk, but % winners will be smaller because you may have been premature.

Think in terms of risk and probability and everything else takes care of itself.

#39     Nov 17, 2002
  10. Enough about patterns, please.
    Does anybody knows of any individual or service which posting trades ahead of the time ?
    Walter

#40     Nov 19, 2002