Is intelligence important for trading?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 0008, Dec 2, 2002.

1. BPelit

BPelit

You see intelligence is not always represented by a degree. Some of the least intelligent people I know are the most educated on paper. They are usually not well rounded though. I have a BS and MBA. The MBA rounded me out quite well, but I could have learned to trade without either because I have the personality for it. But however I am glad to have an education because let's face it, it opens doors and commands respect with other educated people ( for whatever that is worth). It's all what you make it guys and gals. My hat is off to all successful traders- both smart and dumb.

#41     Dec 2, 2002
  2. i'm no expert on this, but i've met so many people that talk a lot but don't seem that smart to me. so maybe you're right. on the other hand, maybe it's just personality type and there are smart and not so smart people for all types. in a beautiful mind, that guy was super smart, but he was a terrible communicator. i know that's just a movie, but that's not the first time i've heard of a real smart person not being much of a socializer.

aphie, i've also noticed that people who i don't consider that smart DO seem to be better at socializing. and it's these same types that i could NEVER picture trading. my best friend is very different from me, but we get along great. i don't think he cares too much about his future or trying to be his best in life, but he's great to talk to and hang around with. he has no interest at all in trading. in my case, i'm constantly trying to better myself and think about my future.

anyway, i'm not quite sure what all this means, but i find this stuff interesting. i know everyone probably thinks they're unique (and we all are), but i do think i'm an odd combination. when i'm around people and when i'm by myself is like night and day.

#42     Dec 2, 2002
  3. A degree has nothing to do with how intelligent you are. It tells others only that you represent a certain field in which you hold that degree and so you are supposed to be competent in it. Sometimes even that is not the case. I once met a Ph.D. physicist, a faculty member in a Ph.D. granting institution that could not even solve basic physics problems. I guess that to get his Ph.D. the guy had to be more cunning than intelligent and what's even worse his Ph.D. did not reflect his skills as a physicist. Yet he was a faculty member... cunning he was, intelligent and competent he was not.

#43     Dec 2, 2002
  4. BSAM

BSAM

No.

Is intelligence important for PROFITABLE trading?

Yes.:cool:

BSAM

#44     Dec 2, 2002
  5. I think that Intelligence is definitely helpful to trading. Whether important or not I don't know.
    I also think that education can be helpful to trading, depending on how the trader use it.

#45     Dec 2, 2002
  6. if you think intellect has nothing at all to do with trading then get your dog to punch the keys...get real gee zuz keee rice st:confused:

#46     Dec 2, 2002
  7. LOL...of course it does. I think the meaning of 0008s' original
    question has been skewed a bit. I got the impression the orignal question leaned more toward "Education" than intellect, and would a trader with a Doctorate have a better chance of
    succeeding than a drop-out?

#47     Dec 2, 2002
  8. Trading is more about emotional control and discipline than anything else. It's obvious that you have to have a sound strategy and that's where you need your intelligence. But that's it. Do not try to use it too much beyond that, because you will end up outguessing your system. Have a plan and stick to it. Also do not confuse intelligence with experience. Intelligence is useful for noticing patterns that could possibly give you some edge, but it is experience and hard work that verify what your intelligence suggested.

I am still in search of a good trained monkey that could run my mechanical strategies...:D A good trained monkey would be as good as I am at that and in some situations better. Humans please do not apply, you are overqualified=too intelligent.

#48     Dec 2, 2002
  9. I could swear I once saw a day-trader perform on Letterman during the "Stupid Human Tricks" segment.

#49     Dec 2, 2002
  10. If he could dress like a monkey, I would consider hiring him for my trading assistant...:D

#50     Dec 3, 2002