Is intelligence important for trading?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 0008, Dec 2, 2002.

1. true, but if you're smart enuf (read intelligent) you'll realize this and proceed accordingly... :D

#21     Dec 2, 2002
  2. Perfectly agree. I was under the impression that the question was about the relevance of intelligence for someone who is trading on his own, and assumed that that someone would also have to identify the strategies... :) Of course when it comes to execution what's identified, intelligence may be a hinderance instead of help. But on balance, I think it helps more than it hurts. If there are separate people doing separate functions e.g. trading and research, then it's a different matter.

#22     Dec 2, 2002
  3. I HAVE A QUESTION:

IS HAVING A LARGE (SUPER) EGO IMPORTANT TO TRADING??:D

i think ... Yes

#23     Dec 2, 2002
  4. I agree. But you can't say that the ability to do things right is more important than the ability to analyze and come up with right inferences. Having the ability to execute and "stop analyzing" is certainly important. But if you compare two guys one of whom is better at learning/analyzing but not so good at doing and the other with the qualities switched, I'm betting on the first one. I bet he'll learn to do much faster than the latter will learn to analyze :D

#24     Dec 2, 2002
  5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

LOL....that is very perceptive:D

#25     Dec 2, 2002
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

No...it makes it hard to see the charts over a big ugly ego:D

#26     Dec 2, 2002
  7. Yes and no ...

Yes you need it; I am sure I have it.

No it will kill you if you can't admit you were wrong.

#27     Dec 2, 2002
  8. IOW,
    you want to be smart enuf to identify the set-ups from the BS...but not so smart that you can't pull the trigger 'cause you know what likely BS those set-ups truely are :D

#28     Dec 2, 2002
  9. the question really is " how do you define intelligence?". the ability to think outside the box and to see corelations, where others do not, is the "form" of intelligence critical to trading success.

trade on,

surf:)

#29     Dec 2, 2002

10. i think the line is "poor, SMART, and hungry". you forgot the smart part.

:D :D :D

#30     Dec 2, 2002