Is intelligence important for trading?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 0008, Dec 2, 2002.

1. It's all about marketing. The publisher knows they'll sell more copies of a book called 7 Kinds of Smart than a booked titled, for example, 7 Categories of Intelligence.

#121     Dec 22, 2002
  2. Traduk

Traduk

The Mensa tests I have done are all about spatial awareness and logical mathematical transpositions. They are definitely good attributes for a trader that uses methodologies based on patterns or implicitly learned set-ups with instant recollection of potential probability factors.

The original question was "Is intelligence important for trading". My answer is yes and no. It takes intelligence to wade through the commonly accepted garbage of what works to prove not only that is doesn't but to then go on and formulate something that does. When a logical plan is formulated and put into practice is when intelligence can become a problem as one's mind wants to tinker and tweak all the time:(

With a well proven plan, slavish unthinking obedience becomes the game and intelligence is best spent elsewhere.

I see that the thread drifted at points into Jungian psychology. I don't think that is pertinent because t deals with character types and I know big bold traders that are good but very poor compared to a shy retiring type that I know very well.

Traduk

#122     Jan 4, 2003