Is intelligence important for trading?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 0008, Dec 2, 2002.

1. 0008

Is intelligence really important for trading?

Any Ivy league PhD here? Are you making profits?

Any school drop-out make a fortune by trading?

Please share your view!

2. Ditch

Ditch

Intelligence has nothing to do with succesful trading, most mistakes in trading happen because a trader lets his emotions take control. To control that is what really counts.

3. No.

The smarter they are, the longer it takes.

I will take a hungry working class kid anytime ...

4. given the choice, i'd rather be smarter ...in any endeavor (much more fun i am sure). this is like asking is raw horsepower important to win races? certainly helps and is necessary to a degree, rather have more than less, but not sufficient in and of itself.:)

5. sun170

sun170

Self analysis is whats important, being able to become aware of underlying thought patterns and emotions and then change those patterns. Which of course requires a certain kind of intelligence. But I believe this kind of intelligence can be cultivated. Of course this is only one aspect of trading. Analytical ability is also necessary in varying degrees depending on your style.

6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

No, IMHO it is a hindrance.
    I tend to really over think my trades instead of following the method verbatim.
    Looses me a LOT of money.

7. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

smart ? intelligence ? that does not mean anything ?

if you mean highly educated (as you imply I think) it has a tendency to make the learning curve longer.

but because trading is a business, at one point education, business oriented (or in science) is an important asset.
    so although education won't help you to get it (and many never get it), education will help you grow afterward, when you finally get it.

tntneo

8. 0008

If everyone thinks IQ isn't so important, why the wall street still recruits quantum physicists ? Are they crazy?

9. qdz

qdz

No, this is no absolute correlation. But I have to admit that I must be smarter than 50.001% of all traders.

:p

10. To find a new edge ...

#10     Dec 2, 2002