is IB's action legal

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by smithi, Oct 20, 2008.

1. def

def Sponsor

You don't know the history here. IB would actually prefer to force all clients to use the device but there are clients for one reason or another that want to opt out.

FYI, I believe the broker is not liable but we want to make it clear that opting out is not in the clients best interest. If by pointing out the risk to clients means that we are covering ourselves, then so be it. Personally I think the use of the device is in both the clients and IB's self-interest.

cokezero,
    via account management under acct administration, there is a choice to restrict use to a specific IP address.

#11     Oct 21, 2008
  2. cokezero

cokezero

>via account management under acct administration, there is a choice to restrict use to a specific IP address.

Didn't know that. This is great! Thanks Def!

#12     Oct 21, 2008
  3. cstfx

cstfx

I don't believe that IP restrictions negate the daily auto-logoff feature built into TWS. I think that you can utilize a batch-type 3rd party feature tho to get around it, provided you are not using the security device.

#13     Oct 21, 2008
  4. JackR

JackR

In the past IB customer service said that the auto-logoff was a security feature. This was before the security token program was in place. I've made a suggestion in the IB "Features Poll" to modify the auto-logoff for token users. Go here http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/poll/poll.php?sid=4158 to see the idea and vote if you like it.

Jack

#14     Oct 21, 2008