Is IB that good or that bad?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by richrf, Jan 8, 2008.

1. if you do enough volume, say 500 or more turns per month, tTansact is very good. Mostly very experienced traders there.

IB never crashes on me. I don't understand why others have problems with it. maybe they are using the WEB version? OK, not completely true. I occasionally lose the data feed, but this lasts about 30 seconds, and it happens maybe once per month.

Note: I only trade futures.

#11     Jan 28, 2008
  2. Bashing is slander, and statements based on factual results are not slander. I never bashed IB. Either you have difficulty reading English, or simply misunderstood my post. Instead of listening to me, try the various platforms and see for yourself.
    Cheers.

#12     Jan 28, 2008
  3. And your preffered broker is?...

#13     Jan 28, 2008
  4. DerekD

DerekD

Yes, IB's TWS load time is relatively slow as compared to a few other borker platforms.

But IB's quote update and order execution is above par. Especially in fast markets. Pop up windows, menus, and pages "blink" up on any system running a minimum of Pentium IV mobile 2 ghz, 1GB RAM, Java 6.

One trick though is if you are running on windows is to enable DirectX draw to handle the programs GUI. (you may not notice a difference at first or if you are a light user of the program.)

Here's how it's done:

Right click on the shortcut you use to launch TWS. Click Properties.

You'll see a string that looks like this:

-cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.0.jar;C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.0.jar;jfreechart-1.0.0.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;riskfeed.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Xmx256M jclient/LoginFrame C:\Jts

Set noddraw=false so that it will use directx.

#14     Jan 28, 2008
  5. wee_man --> Haven't found one yet. Hence all the research.

DerekD --> Thanks for the info, I will try that.

#15     Jan 28, 2008
  6. It has to be your system. My menu's open as fast as I click on them.

#16     Jan 28, 2008